Cisco, Sime Darby Property and Mesiniaga Collaborate to Develop Smart+Connected Communities in Malaysia
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia April 6, 2010 Cisco today announced that it is collaborating with Sime Darby Property (SDP), the property division of Sime Darby Group, and Mesiniaga Berhad to develop social, economic and environmental sustainability in Malaysia through connected communities.
The collaboration, through the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Cisco and Sime Darby Property, is intended to lead to the integration of a complete range of information and communications technology solutions and related services provided by Cisco and Mesiniaga for SDP's current and future projects. The projects, which include the Sime Darby Idea House and Sime Healthcare, will build on Cisco® Smart+Connected Communities solutions.
- The Sime Darby Idea House is set to be the first carbon-neutral residence in Southeast Asia, will be a test bed for Smart+Connected Communities solutions and serve as a model for the network infrastructure required for sustainable city development.
- The announcement is a significant step for Cisco in implementing its innovation and sustainability initiative in Malaysia. The government has been laying the foundation to drive sustainable developments, including the recent National Broadband Initiative, and efforts in revising policies to make connectivity a compulsory service for buildings.
- As one of the first beneficiaries of the collaboration between Cisco, Sime Darby Property and Mesiniaga, the Sime Darby Idea House will embed various collaboration, video and mobility technologies such as Internet Protocol telephony, Wi-Fi, video enhanced security, digital signage, Cisco TelePresenceTM and smart building management systems.
- The Sime Darby Idea House will showcase the concept of a connected life with Cisco's next-generation technologies.
- Mesiniaga Berhad, the master systems integrator, will assist SDP to deploy and manage the Cisco Smart+Connected Communities solutions. Mesiniaga will take the lead with other eco-partners where necessary to deliver the required services.
- The Cisco Smart+Connected Communities initiative elevates the network as the platform for sustainability and unites information sharing and collaboration tools to create a services platform that addresses the challenges of massive urbanization and environmental sustainability. Through this model, Cisco is helping various communities in the world, change the way cities, towns and villages are designed, built and managed.
- Anne Abraham, managing director for Cisco Malaysia
- Dato' Tunku Putra Badlishah, managing director for Sime Darby Property
- Effendi Hashim, general manager and head of sales for GLC and commercial sector at Mesiniaga
"Just as the Internet has transformed our lives with seamless connectivity for health care through to education, government access, energy-efficient buildings, physical security and more, it will now transform our cities. Over the next five years, some 500 million people will be added to the world's cities, and by 2050, at least 100 new cities will be inhabited by more than a million residents. Developing the infrastructure for these cities will not only require massive resources and investment, but also have a significant environmental impact. With Sime Darby and Mesiniaga, Cisco is committed to the transformation of Malaysia into a sustainable and connected community, changing the way its citizens live, work, play and learn."
"Today's MoU cements Sime Darby's commitment to develop a sustainable future that will meet the demands of increasingly urbanized populations. Cisco's Smart+Connected Communities solutions are instrumental in enabling Sime Darby's integrated city management, public and community services as well as energy savings and emissions control. We can now transform our townships and developments into connected communities to create new opportunities and enhance quality of life."
"Our role in the collaboration is crucial in ensuring that the ICT deployment for Sime Darby's Idea House is in line with all parties objectives. We bring with us years of leadership in the area of IP network implementation, management and that makes us a unique partner of choice. Most importantly, we are committed to ensure that our expertise and value are transferred locally to help Sime Darby achieve its vision of making a sustainable future real for everyone."
Tags / Keywords:
Cisco, Smart Connected Communities, Connected Real Estate, Connected Urban Development, Asia Pacific, Malaysia, sustainable building, smart building, sustainability, green, energy management.
Links / URLs:
- For more information on Cisco Smart+Connected Communities, please visit
- Cisco Malaysia:
- Follow Cisco on Twitter
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco products are supplied in Malaysia by Cisco Systems International, BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
About Sime Darby Group
Sime Darby is a Malaysia-based diversified multinational involved in key growth sectors, namely, plantations, property, motors, industrial equipment, energy & utilities and healthcare. With a workforce of over 100,000 employees in over 20 countries, Sime Darby is committed to building a sustainable future for all its stakeholders. It is the largest company on Bursa Malaysia with a market capitalization of RM49.99bn(USD 14.57bn) as of 9 February 2010. For more information on Sime Darby Berhad, please log on to www.simedarby.com
About Sime Darby Property
Sime Darby Property is one of the five core divisions within Sime Darby Berhad. It is an established integrated property group, focused on becoming the leading developer of sustainable communities, in line with Sime Darby's brand positioning of Developing Sustainable Futures. Sime Darby Property is involved in property development, asset management and investment, and hospitality and leisure. Apart from Malaysia, Sime Darby Property has its footprints in Singapore, Vietnam, China, Australia and United Kingdom. For more information on Sime Darby Property, please log on to http://property.simedarby.com
Mesiniaga is a listed company on Bursa Malaysia and one of the country's leading, bumiputera ICT solutions providers and integrators. Initially established in 1981 to serve as IBM's sole agent and dealer, the company has now evolved into a multi-platform business solutions provider with a paid-up capital of RM60.4 million. Mesiniaga provides a range of IT solutions and services and is supported by many internationally renowned technology companies. These innovative solutions are able to provide the building blocks, management capabilities and security for any IT infrastructure. They are also best of breed business answers meant to empower client's productivity, competitive advantage and profitability. The company's mission is to drive customer business performance through technology and innovation. As such, technology is used as an enabler in improving business performance and the company's main aim is to maximise customer's returns on IT investments. For more information please go to http://www.mesiniaga.com
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems and Cisco TelePresence are registered trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
Most Recent NewsCisco Completes Acquisition of Ubiquisys
The Network Week in Review and Look Ahead: May 20-24
Goldman Sachs and Cisco to Host Conference Call on Cisco's Cloud Computing Strategy