Cisco, GDSYS and Incheon Metropolitan City Collaborate in Building Next-Generation Green Data Center
Cisco Networking Solutions and Technology to Be Used to Build Ubiquitous Service Platform
INCHEON, Korea March 16, 2010 Cisco, GDSYS and Incheon Metropolitan City in Korea today announced that they have exchanged a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to mutually collaborate in building a Ubiquitous Service Platform (USP) based on the Cisco Unified Computing SystemTM technology to support delivering virtualized cloud-based information technology services for small and medium-sized businesses and public agencies, in the Incheon Free Economic Zone (IFEZ).
The USP is an advanced green data center platform based on the concepts of ubiquitous computing, cloud computing and intelligent integrated network solutions, providing a platform for delivering high-quality IT services. USP supports a true cloud computing service environment as well as a scalable and virtualized data center environment.
- Under the MOU, Cisco will provide its rich experience, expertise and technologies across the whole process of building the data center, from design, consulting service, and network infrastructure to operation. GDSYS, a local data center service provider will manage the overall project. It expects to deliver highly stable and flexible data center services from hosting, co-location, security and cloud services to small and midsize businesses and public sector located in Incheon and the IFEZ. Incheon Metropolitan City will support the two companies in building the green data center, with the aim of boosting the local economy, creating jobs and attracting foreign investment. The green data center is expected to have about 200 IT specialists and may create an economic effect exceeding KRW 200 billion for five years after it is established.
- Based on the MOU, the USP will be implemented this year and the new data center services are expected to be available to customers in early 2011.
- Cisco technologies expected to be deployed in the data center include the Cisco Unified Computing System, Cisco Unified Communications and video-based physical security solutions.
- The creation of a Ubiquitous Service Platform represents a key milestone in the development of the Smart+Connected Communities vision for Incheon. Through this innovative project, residents, visitors and businesses will experience a sustainable technology-enabled lifestyle through a digital architecture and infrastructure systems built into the urban environment.
- The Cisco Smart+Connected Communities initiative is designed to provide cities and communities with smart and connected solutions for utilities, safety and security, connected real estate, transportation, health care, learning, sports venues, and government services.
- By providing a network-enabled blueprint for successful "smart" cities of the future, Smart+Connected Communities solutions help transform physical communities into connected communities that can help realize sustainable economic growth and GDP, enable environmental sustainability through resource management and operational efficiencies, and enhance quality of life for residents.
- Heung-Bae Ahn, CEO of GDSYS, said,
- Chris Khang, president of Cisco's Asia region, said,
"With USP, we will be able to serve any of the ventures and start-ups in Incheon and IFEZ. I hope that this new data center will be widely perceived as a truly ubiquitous platform based on advanced technologies, such as unified computing and cloud services."
"Cisco is committed to creating an advanced cloud platform that offers optimized IT services at a lower cost. With this MOU, Cisco and Incheon can help GDSYS provide flexible and efficient next-generation data center services."
- For more information on the Incheon Free Economic Zone, visit:
- Cisco and Incheon Metropolitan City to open new chapter in globalization
- Cisco and Gale International Build on Success of Smart+Connected Communities in Songdo International Business District
- Cisco to establish global centre for Smart+Connected Communities in Songdo International Business District
- City of the Future podcast with Stan Gale of Gale International:
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco equipment in South Korea is supplied by Cisco Systems International BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems and Cisco Unified Computing System are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document or Website are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.