Malaysian Students Rule Cisco's Asia Pacific Skills Competition
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia November 26, 2009
A team of three students from the Multimedia University, Cyberjaya, in Malaysia, beat 15 other teams from around the Asia Pacific region to top Cisco® Asia Pacific NetRiders 2009, an annual skills competition organized by the Cisco Networking Academy®, a comprehensive e-learning program that enables students to develop valuable information and communications technology (ICT) skills for increased access to opportunities in the global economy.
Highlights / Key Facts:
- This was the second year that Asia Pacific NetRiders was organized over Cisco TelePresenceTM and Cisco WebExTM, which provided a powerful collaborative platform for the students to test their skills.
- The winning team from Malaysia, Soon Sing Tee, Chamal Sapumohotti, Ravan Nagalingam, won an all-expenses-paid trip to the United States.
- Team Malaysia, comprising different participants, placed second to a team from China in last year's competition.
- This year's competition featured 16 countries, each sending the winners of its national NetRiders competition. More than 4,000 students competed for their respective national titles.
- The competition involves two levels of testing. The first level is a multiple-choice online examination, and the second level involves an online test using Packet Tracer 5.2 (network configuration through computer simulation).
- The competition is open to students from more than 1,390 Networking Academy venues across the region.
- In second and third place, respectively, were the teams from the Sri Lankan Institute of Information Technology and the American International University Bangladesh, demonstrating the incredible diversity of talent in the Cisco Networking Academy.
- Participating in their second Asia Pacific NetRiders, Team Cambodia travelled to Bangkok, Thailand, in order to compete over the Cisco TelePresence platform. Their trip was sponsored by Cisco Thailand and Cisco's channel partners in Cambodia: Trust Gobal Service, CAMPURA and CISWORK.
Tags / Keywords:
Cisco, Networking Academy, Skills, NetRiders, Asia Pacific, Malaysia, TelePresence, WebEx
Links / URLs:
- Cisco Networking Academy Program
- Cisco TelePresence
- Cisco WebEx
- Cisco Asia Pacific NetRiders 2009 Video
- Soon Sing Tee, Chamal Sapumohotti, Ravan Nagalingam, Team Malaysia
- Sandy Walsh, head of Education and Corporate and Social Responsibility for Cisco in Asia Pacific
- Anne Abraham, managing director, Cisco Malaysia
"We felt that definitely having completed Cisco CCNA certification helped us in our preparation for the Asia Pacific NetRiders competition. Our instructor, Mr KC Khor from Multimedia University, Cyberjaya, also spent the last two months preparing us intensively for the competition, so this win is as much for him as for us. Thank you, Cisco, for a great experience over TelePresence. It was really enjoyable competing against so many countries, and we are extremely excited about the study trip to the United States!"
"We have held this skills competition at both the national and regional levels for several years now, and every year we are amazed to see the talent emerging from countries that you would expect to be disadvantaged from a broadband and ICT point of view. The teams from Sri Lanka and Bangladesh did incredibly well to finish second and third, and this reinforces our feeling that education and the Internet are truly two of the great equalizers in life."
"I am so proud of the team from the Multimedia University. Last year, the team from Malaysia came in second, but this year, we have gone one better. We have placed an intense focus over the past few years in developing the Cisco Networking Academy in the country, working closely with the government, the schools and the community to ensure that Malaysia has the talent pool necessary for a knowledge economy. This win shows that we have made great progress."
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco products are supplied in Asia Pacific by Cisco Systems International, BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems, Networking Academy, Cisco TelePresence and Cisco WebEx are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
- William Oei Cisco Systems, Inc. +65 6317 5555 firstname.lastname@example.org
Most Recent NewsInside Cisco's Acoustic Chamber
By Karen Crocker Snell 4/16/2014
Cisco Deployed IT Infrastructure for World-Famous Mariinsky Theatre
The Network Week in Review and Look Ahead:April 7-11