Cisco Introduces Video-Optimized Transport to Help Service Providers and Broadcasters Deliver a Superior Video Experience in All Formats and for All Endpoints
Comprehensive Solution Is Designed to Meet Next-Generation Needs
SAN JOSE, Calif., Dec 7, 2010 Cisco today announced a significant step in its solutions for the broadcast industry: the Cisco Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network (IP NGN) Video Optimized Transport. This Cisco solution helps enable service providers and broadcasters to deliver next-generation IP video experiences, such as 3-D TV, on a converged IP NGN architecture while delivering unparalleled customer experience, operational simplicity and savings.
Video traffic is projected to grow more than 500 percent to almost half a zettabyte over the next five years. This represents more than half of all IP traffic and by 2014 will generate an estimated $250 billion in revenue. (Cisco Visual Networking Index Forecast, 2009-2014).
The challenge for today's Carrier Ethernet networks is to carry diverse video formats to a wide variety of endpoints with a uniformly high quality of experience. The Cisco IP NGN Video Optimized Transport solution helps broadcasters and service providers build networks that deliver high-quality video for next-generation distribution is much more common (for example, from stadium to studio), primary distribution (studio to service provider) and secondary distribution (service provider to customer).
- The most comprehensive video-optimized transport solution: The Cisco IP NGN Video Optimized Transport solution is a zero-loss video architecture that helps ensure a high-quality video experience with innovations to intelligently reroute around network congestion and failures. This allows service providers and broadcasters to provide premium video experiences to customers.
- Integrated Inline Video Monitoring and Performance Management: The new Cisco IP NGN Video Optimized Transport solution also helps broadcasters monitor, detect and isolate video-quality impairments. The solution is the industry's first 160G/slot inline, line-rate video monitoring without dedicated hardware appliance or network blades. The new Cisco solution helps enable capital expenditure savings up to 22 times that of the nearest competing solution.
- Zero-Loss Video Service-Level Agreement from Cisco Services: The new Cisco solutions help meet strict service-level agreements and proactive network assurance services, enabling service providers and broadcasters to add revenue by selling tiered SLA-based services.
- Standards-Based Infrastructure: The standards-based carrier-grade Ethernet infrastructure instills confidence and is designed to maximize interoperability as service providers and broadcasters migrate their networks from time-division multiplexing to IP- and Ethernet-based video delivery.
- Proven and Tested Delivery: Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd., one of Asia's largest service providers, used the Cisco IP NGN Video Optimized Transport solution to deliver uncompressed HD broadcast video over an IP infrastructure to several hundred million viewers across the globe.
- Kuldip Singh, chairman and managing director, MTNL
- Paul Sanchirico, vice president, Service Provider Systems Unit, Cisco
"MTNL, the official telecom provider for Commonwealth Games 2010 in India, collaborated with Cisco and its systems integrator, HCL Infosystems, to design, build and operate a high-quality HD uncompressed broadcast contribution network based on Cisco IP NGN Video Optimized Transport technology. MTNL delivered more than 300 Gbps of all high-definition uncompressed video from 25 Commonwealth Games broadcast compounds throughout the event, which was then streamed live for international broadcast over an NGN infrastructure."
"The next-generation video will be characterized by high-quality, high-definition transmission delivered to a multitude of endpoints. We are confident that the Cisco IP NGN Video Optimized Transport solution will help broadcasters and service providers like MTNL deliver an unparalleled customer experience with operational simplicity and savings."
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- Cisco IP NGN Video Optimized Transport Solution
- Cisco IP NGN Video Optimized Transport whitepaper
- Cisco DCM IP Video Gateway (DCMG) Video Datasheet
- Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast, 2009-2014
- Read: Cisco SP360 Blog
- Follow the Cisco SP360 team on Twitter and Cisco SP360 on Facebook
Tags / Keywords:
Service Provider, Cisco, Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network, IP NGN, Video. IP NGN Video Optimized Transport, Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited, MTNL
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.