Cisco ūmi telepresence Now Available to Consumers at Best Buy/Magnolia Home Theater Stores
Breakthrough Product Brings Family and Friends to the Living Room at the Touch of a Button
SAN JOSE, Calif., and MINNEAPOLIS, Minn., Nov. 15, 2010 Cisco ūmi™ telepresence, a first-of-its-kind consumer product that brings family and friends together in high-definition video, whether they are around the corner or across the country, is now available at Magnolia Home Theater through Best Buy, www.bestbuy.com and www.cisco.com/umi. Cisco ūmi connects to an existing HD television and a broadband Internet connection to create a video calling experience that is so clear, natural and lifelike, that users will see and hear their loved ones, right down to the twinkle in their eyes and the tone of their voices, as if they were in the same room.
Once Cisco ūmi is connected to an HD television and a wired or wireless broadband connection, a remote control provides access to an on-screen user interface, through which users can make ūmi calls, access video messages, manage contacts, and customize their profile and settings. Users can also record their own ūmi videos that they can share on Facebook™, on YouTube™, or via email. Users can even keep in touch with people who don't have ūmi by placing and receiving video calls from any computer with a webcam and Google video chat. The suggested retail price for Cisco ūmi is $599, with a monthly fee of $24.99 for unlimited ūmi calls, video messaging and 100 minutes of video storage.
"We are thrilled to welcome consumers into our Best Buy/Magnolia Home Theater stores nationwide to experience ūmi firsthand, because seeing is truly believing," said Steve Delp, chief operating officer for Magnolia Home Theater. "With the holidays right around the corner, Cisco ūmi will be a great way for friends and family to connect with one another, even if they are miles apart."
"Cisco ūmi is making holiday get togethers easy this year," said Gina Clark, vice president and general manager of Cisco's TelePresence business unit. "With travel not always being an option for families, and other communication methods like phone calls and text messages not being satisfying, Cisco ūmi provides a simple and natural way for consumers to truly connect with family and friends and experience the joy of being together."
Cisco ūmi Key Features and Benefits
- Users enjoy an amazingly clear and lifelike full HD experience.
- All that is needed is an existing HD television and a broadband Internet connection.
- Cisco ūmi is easy to set up and simple to use. Users can be together at the touch of a button.
- Video calls can be placed and received on any computer with a webcam and Google video chat.
- Users will never miss a ūmi call with video messages.
- Cisco ūmi videos can be created and then shared via Facebook, YouTube, or email.
- Video messages can be checked on the go with a laptop.
- New video message notices arrive via text on a mobile phone.
- From the comfort of the couch, users can pan the room and even zoom in to get up close and personal, or pull back to include the whole family.
- Privacy features, such as call screening and blocking, and a camera shutter that closes, keep users in control of their privacy.
- Cisco ūmi can be personalized with unique video greetings, ringtones, and calling favorites.
- The stylish design is a perfect match for the living room and HD television.
- Television: Any HD television with an HDMI input port
- Broadband connection: Minimum sustained upload speed of 1.5Mbps for 720p ūmi calls or 3.5Mbps for ūmi calls in 1080p. Check your broadband speed here: http://home.cisco.com/en-us/telepresence/umi/speed-test-a
- Service plan: Unlimited ūmi calls and 100 minutes of video message storage for just $24.99 per month
- Geek Squad Installation: 11/21 to 12/26. Buy two Cisco ūmi units and get free installation service on both units ($299.98 value)
Opportunities to see Cisco ūmi
- Cisco ūmi is available now from bestbuy.com and Best Buy/Magnolia Home Theater stores and at www.cisco.com/umi.
- Since Nov. 3, "The Oprah Winfrey Show" has been bringing people together on the show via Cisco ūmi.
- A national advertising campaign commences on Nov. 15, featuring Ellen Page, the star of "Juno" and "Inception," and her friends using ūmi in their everyday lives.
- A Cisco ūmi mall tour will travel to more than 20 major malls across the United States this holiday season, during which consumers will be able to experience live ūmi demonstrations.
- A Cisco ūmi mobile tour will travel the country and provide demonstrations at sporting events, concerts, and other venues and special events.
- Cisco ūmi photos and images and video on how Cisco ūmi works.
- Visit The Platform blog to learn about Cisco ūmi.
- Check out the CiscoHome blog for knowledge from Cisco's ūmi experts.
- Search #ciscoumi on Twitter for real-time updates on ūmi.
- "Like" Cisco ūmi on Facebook and enter to win a system for you and a friend.
- Visit www.cisco.com/umi for information on how to order Cisco ūmi.
- Cisco ūmi b-roll: For product footage and Cisco executive commentary, visit www.go-cvs.com/ftp (click on the "check mark" icon on the lower left. The username is cisco-broll, and the password is cscobrollshots; click Home-Telepresence folder to access Cisco ūmi b-roll.
- Cisco ūmi Telepresence Demonstration: How it Works
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information on Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go tohttp://newsroom.cisco.com.
Magnolia has been in business for over 50 years, and is a premier retailer of high-performance audio, video and home automation systems. Today, there are over 380Magnolia Home Theater locations inside Best Buy across the nation, as well as 6 stand-alone Flagship locations in Washington and California operated under the Magnolia Audio Video name. These flagship locations provide end-to-end entertainment and engineering design solutions for their customers. From collaborative in-home consultations, to custom audio/video and control system design, to final installation and support - Magnolia Audio Video is without peer. Magnolia also owns the distinction of having won 22 customer service awards in their storied history. Magnolia joined the Best Buy family of brands in 2000 and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Best Buy. For more information about the Magnolia Audio Video experience, including the store's extensive selection and services, visit www.magnoliaav.com.
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo and Cisco Systems are registered trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. in the United States and certain other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
- Jim Brady Cisco Systems, Inc. +1 408-424-2150 firstname.lastname@example.org