Leading Spanish Network Operator Accelerates Carrier Ethernet
Cisco ASR 9000 Selected as Foundation to Expand Network Capacity and Capabilities
SAN JOSE, Calif., Sept. 9, 2010 - Cisco announced today that Abertis Telecom, a leading provider of video and Carrier Ethernet transport to broadcasters and the broader telecom market in Spain, is enhancing its Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network (IP NGN) by deploying a Cisco Internet Protocol/Multiprotocol Label Switching (IP/MPLS) system based on Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers and Cisco 7600 Series Routers.
Amid the accelerated growth of video for businesses and consumers and the digital transformation of the broadcast market, Abertis is preparing its IP NGN to enable more bandwidth and new capabilities, such as video contribution, video production, Carrier Ethernet transport, and primary distribution and content distribution services.
The upgraded IP/MPLS architecture will allow Abertis to deliver new types of services, optimize its capacity and realize operational expenditure savings. Such innovations will be required for current video demands and future innovations such as 3D video, increased interactivity and more pervasive high-definition television experiences across Spain.
- The Cisco ASR 9000 Series is purpose-built for the next-generation Internet. And with its high-density 10 Gigabit Ethernet line cards and investment protection for 100GE, Abertis can lower the total cost of ownership and increase capabilities to deliver new IP-based services.
- Cisco is the first company to submit every component of a complete end-to-end Carrier Ethernet system for Metro Ethernet Forum certification. Full compliance of this end-to-end system, containing all key Cisco Ethernet routing and switching platforms, was validated to meet both MEF 9 and MEF 14 standards by Iometrix, a test lab approved by MEF. Systems with MEF certified components help enable service providers to deploy fully compliant and interoperable end-to-end Carrier Ethernet services.
- The Cisco Carrier Ethernet system includes unique video capabilities such as high-performance multicast and in-line video performance monitoring. Furthermore, Abertis will continue to maintain stringent service-level agreements with its customers with zero-loss video transport technology.
- The Cisco ASR 9000 Series is designed to deliver a per-slot capacity of up to 400 gigabits per second and to scale up to 6.4 terabits per second along with rich-service capabilities including nonstop video, while maintaining a reduced carbon footprint. This scale will help enable Abertis realize ongoing savings in operational expenditures.
- The Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast, 2009-2014, projects that global Internet traffic will increase more than fourfold to 767 exabytes, or more than three quarters of zettabyte, by 2014. This amount is 100 exabytes higher than the projected level in 2013, or an increase the equivalent of 10 times all the traffic traversing IP NGNs in 2008.
- Edwin Paalvast, vice president, Europe service provider, Cisco
"Cisco is committed to Abertis' success. Abertis' dedication to building out its Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network architecture and to advance its video services capabilities demonstrates a strong commitment to its customers. Abertis is preparing for the demands being created by increased video adoption throughout Spain."
- Telx Ethernet Exchange Extends Network Reach for Service Providers
- NTT America Selects Cisco ASR 9000 to Deliver Broadband Services
- Neutral Tandem Deploys Cisco ASR 9000 for Ethernet eXchange Service
- Telstra Deploys Cisco ASR 9000 Edge Router
- DT and Cisco ASR 9000: Capacity and Capability Enable Advanced Services
- Cisco Delivers the Carrier Ethernet Foundation for the 'Zettabyte Era': The new Cisco Aggregation Services Router 9000
- Cisco Recognizes Verizon Wireless for Operational Excellence
- Cisco Service Provider
- Cisco ASR 9000 Series
- Cisco 7600 Series
- Cisco Carrier Ethernet Solutions
- Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast, 2009-2014
- Read: Cisco SP360 Blog
- Follow the Cisco SP360 team on Twitter and Cisco SP360 on Facebook
Cisco, ASR 9000, Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network, IP NGN, Edge, Carrier Ethernet, MPLS, VNI, Visual Networking Index, 7600, Abertis, Spain, MEF, Metro Ethernet Forum
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo and Cisco Systems are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
Most Recent NewsArchipelago International and Cisco Transform the Hospitality Industry in Indonesia
Cisco Completes Acquisition of Insieme Networks
Network Trailblazer: A Conversation with Bob Pittman
By Kevin Maney 12/10/2013