Wananchi Group and Cisco Sign Multiyear Contract to Take Triple Play to Next Level
Region's Only Triple-Play Operator Evolves Services as Business Demands Grow and Technology Advances
LONDON, NAIROBI, Kenya, and JOHANNESBURG, 02 August 2010: Cisco announced today that the Wananchi Group, Africa's pioneering provider of triple-play (broadband, multichannel cable television and voice telephony) and VSAT (broadband data and Internet) services, has signed a contract for the purchase of Cisco® network technology solutions and services in East Africa. The agreement is supported by Cisco CapitalSM, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco, specializing in providing effective financing solutions and a deep understanding of Cisco's products, services and customer business requirements.
Wananchi Group, currently the only triple-play operator in East Africa, will roll out its new services in nine countries in the eastern African region: Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Malawi, Ethiopia, Sudan and Zambia. The contract will also enable the Wananchi Group to deploy Cisco's integrated end-to-end network technology solutions, encompassing Cisco's Borderless Networks, collaboration and data center virtualization solutions, as their customer base expands and technology advances.
Highlights / Key Facts:
- The agreement represents an important milestone in Cisco's Africa investment strategy and its goal to deliver advanced communication and collaboration services throughout the sub-Saharan African region. The Wananchi Group is one of the first companies in the region to utilize the additional innovative resources that Cisco has to offer beyond its products and standard maintenance services. Additionally, the agreement demonstrates Cisco's ability to adapt to change and align with an organization's business and financial requirements.
- Cisco has been selected as the Wananchi Group's preferred supplier of the end-to-end infrastructure, encompassing access technologies (fiber and cable), the core Internet Protocol network, optical transport up to the video head-end, data center solutions, and multimedia set-top boxes.
- As a key part of Cisco's total solution, Cisco Capital is uniquely positioned to arrange the most competitive and flexible financing (whether directly or through its finance partners).
- Under this agreement, Cisco and Wananchi Group will provide a number of innovative and competitive managed and hosted communications and collaboration services for the residential, corporate and government sectors.
Mark Schneider, group chairman, the Wananchi Group
"The entertainment market for both home and corporate customers in Africa, as a whole, continues to be reshaped in light of technological advancements and new industry partnerships. The Wananchi Group's key objective is to expand our portfolio and enhance our commercial proposition, revenues and reputation. Cisco will help us to continuously deliver the necessary technology enhancements to our infrastructure to serve our ever-growing customer needs and remain at the forefront of delivering new and innovative services to our customers."
Paul Mountford, president of emerging markets, Cisco
"This agreement with Wananchi is significant for Cisco's business in Africa because it demonstrates our strong business partnership and consultancy capabilities beyond just being an end-to end network solutions technology provider. This is becoming increasingly important for our customers in Africa where we are witnessing major developments in the information, communications and technology landscape."
Links / URLs:
- Emerging Markets RSS Feed: http://newsroom.cisco.com/data/syndication/rss2/EmergingMarkets.xml
- News@Cisco in Africa: http://newsroom.cisco.com/africa
- RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
- For more details about Cisco Capital Finance visit: http://www.cisco.com/web/ordering/ciscocapital/index.html
- For details about Cisco integrated end-to-end solutions visit: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/index.html
About the Wananchi Group:
The Wananchi Group is Africa's pioneering provider of triple-play (broadband, multi-channel television and voice telephony) and VSAT (broadband data and iIternet) services. We're in the process of rolling out Africa's most innovative cable and WiMax network to complement the existing VSAT infrastructure.
For more details visit: http://www.wananchi.com/home/index.html
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco equipment in emerging markets is supplied by Cisco Systems International BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems, and Cisco Capital are registered trademarks, trademarks, or service marks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
- Rose Bambi Cisco Systems, Inc. +44 7770 751109 email@example.com