Cisco Furthers Commitment to Innovation and Economic Growth Agenda in New England
CEO John Chambers Addresses Chief Executives' Club of Boston, Unveils Division Headquarters and Recognizes Milestone in Giving Back to the Region
SAN JOSE, Calif., June 11, 2010 In a keynote address today at the Boston College Chief Executives' Club of Boston, Cisco Chairman and CEO John Chambers will share his perspectives on how collaboration can unlock productivity and innovation gains in New England and across the globe.
Chambers will discuss the importance of New England for Cisco and the global economy, introduce the Massachusetts headquarters of its Mobile Internet Technology Group (MITG), outline how the company's Smart+Connected Communities initiative can help stimulate economic revitalization, and celebrate 10 years of giving back to the community in New England.
The luncheon will be held at the Boston Harbor Hotel's Wharf Room, with Chambers' keynote commencing at 1 p.m. ET. Cisco will announce the following news in support of its commitment to fostering innovation, growth and talent development in New England:
Cisco's Mobile Internet Technology Group
- With the recent acquisition of Starent Networks, Cisco established Massachusetts as the headquarters of its new Mobile Internet Technology Group (MITG). With global mobile data traffic expected to grow 39-fold over the next five years*, mobile operators are looking to Cisco to help manage the deluge of mobile data while delivering new mobile services.
- Cisco's MITG recently launched the Cisco ASR 5000 as part of a comprehensive end-to-end network that will enable mobile operators to increase service performance and reliability.
Cisco's Ongoing Commitment to Smart+Connected Communities in New England
- Following the signing of a memorandum of understanding earlier this year, the city of Holyoke is slated to become one of the first U.S. cities to pilot a model 21st-century city neighborhood based on Cisco's Smart+Connected Communities initiative harnessing the power of the network to drive social, economic and environmental sustainability.
- After a period of collaboration between Cisco and Holyoke, the city is exploring ways it might collaborate on urban renewal projects with Cisco in areas such as healthcare, safety and security, education and access to government services.
Cisco's History of Giving Back
- As part of its commitment to giving back to the region, Cisco and the Cisco Foundation have now made $20 million in philanthropic donations to nonprofit organizations in New England over the last decade.
History of Cisco's Presence in New England
- Cisco's commitment to the region began in 1994, and the company opened its main site in Massachusetts, the New England Development Center (NEDC) in Boxborough, on June 27, 2003. With the establishment of its MITG, Massachusetts is now home to over 2,000 Cisco employees.
- Cisco has made $15 billion in acquisitions and investments in the New England region, with 17 companies acquired (14 of which in Massachusetts).
- Cisco has a long track record of supporting educational initiatives across New England. Regional participation in Cisco's Networking Academy has grown 19 percent in the past year to include over 6,000 current students in New England, seeking the transformative skills needed for careers in the field of information and communications technology.
- The NEDC is home to major engineering, sales, marketing, services and operations activities for Cisco. The technology research and development mission of NEDC includes innovative work on communications and collaboration; service provider and broadband networks; and data center networking and advanced routing.
- Cisco's Global Partner Ecosystem an integral component to its overall business model now includes more than 400 businesses and Cisco partners in Massachusetts, employing thousands of people.
- John T. Chambers, chairman and CEO, Cisco
- Deval Patrick, governor of Massachusetts
- Paul D. Bosco, vice president and site executive, Cisco
"The world-class innovation we see coming out of New England from academic, governmental and private sectors are enabling Cisco better prepare for the next wave of market transitions. Specifically, the work of Cisco's Massachusetts-based teams in developing a deeper architectural approach in the area of mobility for the Next Internet, and the public private partnerships we are developing for urban renewal with the City of Holyoke have the potential to serve as models across multiple economies. We look forward to further harnessing these collaborative approaches to support creating sustained economic opportunity across the region and the globe."
"Cisco's decision to locate its Mobile Internet Technology Group headquarters in Massachusetts is a victory for our economy and further proof that the Commonwealth is on the mend and on the move. Our successful collaboration with Cisco significantly strengthens our innovation economy. I look forward to the many opportunities our continued partnership will lead to."
"Cisco is proud to be part of the New England innovation economy. The combination of world class research universities, a vibrant entrepreneurial community, innovative technical talent, and strong local partners make New England an important technology hub for Cisco."
- City of Holyoke, Mass. and Cisco collaborate on urban renewal
- Cisco ASR 5000 mobile multimedia services solution
- Cisco's Mobile Internet strategy
- Photograph of John T. Chambers
- Cisco Visual Networking Index Global Mobile Data Update
*Source: According to the annual Cisco Visual Networking Index, global mobile data traffic will exceed 40 exabytes per year by 2014 and will increase 39-fold from 2009 to 2014 with a compound annual growth rate of 108% (over the forecast period).
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems and Networking Academy are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
Most Recent NewsSenators unveil Canadian Tire Centre Vision, a 700-screen high-definition experience, at Canadian Tire Centre
Cisco to Support IT Development in Kaliningrad Region of Russian Federation
The Network Week in Review and Look Ahead: December 2-6