Turkcell Powers Next-Generation Mobile Network With Cisco CRS Technology
Mobile Operator Dedicated to Building the Next Internet in Turkey
ISTANBUL, Turkey - May 17, 2010 - Cisco announced today that Turkcell, Turkey's leading mobile communications and technology company, has deployed an Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network (IP NGN) based on the Cisco® Carrier Routing System (CRS) platform.
Turkcell is using the Cisco CRS platform to manage 3G traffic and build the foundation for the next-generation mobile Internet in Turkey. With the Cisco CRS, Turkcell has recently tested enhanced mobile services with download speeds of up to 42.2 megabits per second, and it is planning to test 84 Mbps with HSPA+. Turkcell also tested 170 Mbps with Long-Term Evolution (LTE).
Enhancing the core with CRS enables Turkcell to launch value-added services such as mobile TV, video on demand (VoD) and media-rich applications, paving the way for future 4G services. It also enables the operator to migrate all services, including signaling, mobile voice and mobile data to an IP/Multiprotocol Label Switching (IP/MPLS) core platform, which will increase service scalability and reliability.
Key Facts / Highlights:
- The Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) predicts that mobile-ready devices and widespread mobile video-content consumption will fuel a major growth of mobile data traffic over the next several years. To be ready for the increased need for mobile internet in Turkey, Turkcell launched its 3G network in July 2009. During the first three months of 2010, mobile data traffic on Turkcell's 2G and 3G networks increased 18 times year-on-year, equalling the total amount of mobile data traffic in the year 2009.
- The highest capacity router in the industry, the Cisco Carrier Routing System is a platform with innovative hardware and software that protects investments for decades. The Cisco CRS platforms deployed by Turkcell during the current implementation phase can support high-bandwidth speeds on a single-flow architecture, eliminating forwarding bottlenecks. The Cisco CRS platform is ready to support the new 100 Gigabit Ethernet technology.
- The Cisco CRS provides carrier-grade requirements, service flexibility and future scalability, as required by Turkcell. It offers the Cisco Carrier-Grade IPv6 Solution to meet the tremendous growth of mobile devices connecting to the Internet and to address the challenges of the IPv4 address exhaustion. IPv6 will allow Turkcell to deliver innovative services such as machine to machine applications between mobile devices and other electronic devices such as personal digital assistants, printers and hands-free vehicle systems.
- The Cisco CRS platform and the Cisco IOS® XR operating system support in-service upgrades, allowing software maintenance, enhancements and future migrations with no disruptions to customer services. It is designed to serve as the foundation for IP NGN infrastructure, where continuous system operation with greater than 99.999 percent availability is essential.
- To date, nearly 5,000 Cisco CRS systems have been shipped to more than 300 customers around the world.
- Cisco Advanced Services provided system design, end-to-end integration, deployment at five Turkcell locations and support services throughout the network transition.
- Turkcell is working with Cisco CapitalSM, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems specializing in providing flexible financing for Cisco solutions worldwide. Cisco Capital provides Turkcell and its subsidiaries with financing to help evolve its infrastructure as business demands grow and technology advances.
- Ilter Terzioglu, chief network operations officer, Turkcell
- Eyup Dilaverler, division head, Core Networks, Turkcell
- Umit Cinali, general manager, Cisco Turkey
"Turkcell continuously invests in its network to differentiate itself from the competition with the highest quality 2G/3G network. By consolidating our networks onto a single IP NGN platform in the core, we expect savings in operating and capital expenses. At the same time, our customers will be able to enjoy outstanding services at work, at home and on the move, including competitive mobile services with HSPA+ speeds. Whether delivering mission-critical business services or 3G broadband entertainment, quality of experience is vital. With the Cisco CRS family, we have a next-generation platform on which we can build our future business."
"Our engagement with Cisco in this project proved once again Cisco's dedication to Turkcell. Successful lab tests, Cisco's know-how, the technical features and investment protection offered by the CRS family, Cisco's proven Plan-Design-Implement methodology and support capabilities were the keys to choosing Cisco."
"The need for IP capabilities is becoming increasingly key for many operators. According to the latest Cisco Visual Networking Index, mobile-ready devices and mobile video will fuel a 39-fold growth of mobile data traffic between now and 2014. The same study predicts that 66 percent of the world's mobile data traffic will be video in 2014. At Cisco, we are pleased to bring the latest technology and know-how to Turkey and help service providers get ready for the future of communications."
Turkcell, Cisco, Turkey, mobile data, 3G, Cisco Carrier Routing System
RSS Feed for Cisco:
- Cisco Web Site
- Turkcell Delivers 3G Data Services with Cisco and Openet
- Cisco Visual Networking Index predicts continued mobile data traffic surge
Turkcell is the leading communications and technology company in Turkey with 34.3 million postpaid and prepaid customers and a market share of approximately 56% as of March 31, 2010 (Source: Our estimations, operators' and Authority's announcements). Turkcell provides high quality data and voice services to approximately 70% of the Turkish population with its 3G and EDGE technology supported network. Turkcell reported TRY 2.2 billion ($ 1.5 billion) net revenue for the period ended March 31, 2010 and its total assets reached TRY 14.3 billion ($ 9.3 billion) as of March 31, 2010. Turkcell has become one of the first operators in the world to have implemented HSPA+ and reached to 42.2 Mbps speed with its 3G network, as of March 5th 2010. Turkcell is a leading regional player and has interests in international mobile operations in Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Northern Cyprus and Ukraine which, together with its Turkish operations, had approximately 62 million subscribers as of March 31, 2010. Turkcell has been listed on the NYSE and the ISE since July 2000 and is the only NYSE-listed company in Turkey and is among the top 15% companies listed on NYSE by its size. 51.00% of Turkcell's share capital is held by Turkcell Holding, 0.05% by Cukurova Group, 13.07% by Sonera Holding, 2.32% by M.V. Group and 0.08% by others while the remaining 33.48% is free float.
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information on Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems and Cisco IOS are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.