NTT America Selects Cisco ASR 9000 to Deliver Business Broadband Services
Demand for Greater Capacity, Ultra-High-Speed Internet Access Spurs Next-Generation Internet Protocol Network Upgrade
SAN JOSE, Calif., April 1, 2010 Cisco today announced that NTT America, a wholly owned U.S. subsidiary of NTT Communications Corporation, the global data and Internet Protocol services provider based in Japan, will deploy the Cisco® ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Router to scale its Next-Generation Internet Protocol Network infrastructure for leading capacity, nonstop video, power efficiency, robust IPv6 support and integrated video monitoring intelligence.
- NTT America's infrastructure assets depend on providing the highest levels of network performance and flexible service options to customers in markets such as financial services, content delivery, Internet service provision, and the entertainment and media industries, where demand for high-definition video is expanding the market for IP transit at unprecedented rates. After a search for a carrier-class router that could meet stringent cost and performance requirements as well as rigorous tests in a variety of applications, NTT America selected the Cisco ASR 9000 as the platform best suited to support its customers' market-growth opportunities.
- As a platform for Carrier Ethernet networks, the Cisco ASR 9000 is designed to deliver a per-slot capacity of up to 400 gigabits per second and to scale up to 6.4 terabits per second along with rich-service capabilities including nonstop video, while maintaining a reduced carbon footprint.
- Optimized for video delivery and mobile aggregation, the Cisco ASR 9000 has a full set of service activation and provisioning systems that accelerate time to market without increasing operational expenses.
- NTT America also set a requirement for carrier-grade IPv6 capability, as its global IP network has been running both IPv4 and IPv6 worldwide since 2001. IPv6 presents a major opportunity to businesses that need to stay competitive on a global basis, allowing them to take advantage of new applications in every market from entertainment to disaster response, while helping to ensure business continuity as IPv4 addresses dwindle. The Cisco ASR 9000 supports both IPv4 and IPv6 protocol stacks for service growth.
- Global IP traffic is expected to increase fivefold from 2008 to 2013, approaching 56 exabytes per month in 2013, up from approximately 9 exabytes per month in 2008. IP traffic in Asia Pacific will lead this growth worldwide. It is forecast to reach 21 exabytes per month in 2013, accounting for more than one-third of the global traffic. (Source: Cisco Visual Networking Index IP traffic growth forecast 20082013.)
- The NTT Communications Global IP Network has reached 300 gigabits per second (Gbps) of available capacity on the transpacific portion of the network, the highest available capacity of any global Tier 1 network, serving growing international customer bases and providing a cost-effective solution to meet the demand for bandwidth speed and capacity. By utilizing three cable systems - PC-1, Tyco Global Network (TGN) and Japan-US (JP-US) NTT America provides a short, low-latency path for transpacific Internet traffic, allowing customers fast, reliable and cost-effective access to financial and international markets.
- Doug Junkins, NTT America chief technology officer and vice president of IP development for NTT America's Global IP Network business unit
- Kelly Ahuja, Cisco senior vice president/general manager, Service Provider Routing Technology Group
"Our customers need performance, reliability and flexibility to stay competitive in the global marketplace. As we work to expand our own infrastructure assets with the highest available capacity of 300 Gbps and continued investments in transpacific cable capacity, we knew we needed to set an equally high standard in upgrading our network. The Cisco ASR 9000 was the best platform and not only met the performance requirements our customers have today, but also provided a clear path to enabling our future 100G service plans."
"We are pleased to be working with an innovative and customer-focused company like NTT America. With high performance, high intelligence and high reliability, the Cisco ASR 9000 is the ideal routing platform to meet the future needs of NTT America and all of its many customers."
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- Cisco Delivers the Carrier Ethernet Foundation for the 'Zettabyte Era': The new Cisco Aggregation Services Router 9000
- Cisco Visual Networking Index Forecast website
- Cisco ASR 9000 Series
- Cisco Helps Assure Internet's Future Amid Device Growth
- Keep up with Cisco's news by visiting the company's Platform Blog
- Read: Cisco SP360 Blog
- Follow the Cisco SP360 team on Twitter and Cisco SP360 on Facebook
- NTT America
- NTT Communications Global IP Network
- NTT Communications Global IP Network Map
- NTT America Anticipates Continued Capacity Demand for Broadband Networks
- NTT America 10GigE IP transit
- NTT America IPv6 transit
Cisco, ASR 9000, Aggregation Services Router, Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network, IP NGN, Edge, NTT, NTT Communications, NTT America, global IP network, IPv6
About NTT America
NTT America is North America's natural gateway to the Asia-Pacific region, with strong capabilities in the U.S. market. NTT America is the U.S. subsidiary of NTT Communications Corporation, the global data and IP services arm of a Fortune Global 500 telecom leader: Nippon Telegraph & Telephone Corporation (NTT). NTT America provides world-class Enterprise Hosting, managed network, and IP networking services for enterprise customers and service providers worldwide. For additional information on NTT America, visit us on the Web at www.nttamerica.com.
U.S. product information regarding the NTT Communications Global IP Network and its award winning IPv6 transit services may be found at http://www.us.ntt.net/, by calling 877-8NTT-NET (868-8638), or by emailing email@example.com. Follow NTT America on Twitter at @NTT_America or join us on Facebook at http://www.nttamerica.com/facebook for up-to-date news and announcements.
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
NTT, NTT Communications, and the NTT Communications logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of NIPPON TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE CORPORATION and/or its affiliates. All other referenced product names are trademarks of their respective owners. © 2010 NTT Communications
Cisco, the Cisco logo and Cisco Systems are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
Most Recent NewsGoldman Sachs and Cisco to Host Conference Call on Cisco's Cloud Computing Strategy
Today, 11:00 AM
Chinese Cable Operator Zhejiang Wasu Taps Cisco for 100 Gigabit Backbone
Today, 05:00 AM
Media Alert: Cisco to Webcast Annual Visual Networking Index (VNI) Global IP Traffic Forecast 2012-2017 Results
Today, 05:00 AM