Cisco Delivers 'Security Without Borders'
Cisco's "Secure Borderless Networks" Architecture Addresses Challenges of Today's Mobile Workforce by Connecting Anyone, Anywhere, Using Any Device with High Levels of Security
SAN FRANCISCO, CA and HANNOVER, GERMANY March 2, 2010 Cisco is tackling today's enterprise security challenges with a new architecture that will help enable business users to access information from any device and any location with a high degree of ease and security. The company announced the Cisco® Secure Borderless Network architecture, which evolves enterprise security by focusing on four critical anchors: enterprise endpoints (mobile or fixed), the Internet edge, the data center, and policy that is context- and location-aware.
As the first proof point of this architecture, Cisco is releasing the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility solution and expanding Cisco TrustSecTM to provide businesses with identity and granular control over policy to maximize persistent security and protection. This is especially important as workforces are increasingly mobile and are using new forms of Web-based collaboration and communication, making traditional security approaches insufficient.
Cisco Secure Borderless Network Architecture Highlights
- Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Integrates functionality across the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client, the Cisco IronPort S-Series Web Security Appliance and the Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance firewall. The next-generation remote access, advanced Web security and threat-intelligence capabilities of this solution helps allow enterprises to extend their corporate policy and controls to mobile users.
- Seamless, always-on highly secure connectivity
- Automatic security gateway detection
- Trusted network detection
- Highly secure application access for both managed and unmanaged devices
- Application visibility and deep control
- SaaS access controls
- Enhanced threat defense
- Unified on-premises and off-premises security policies and reporting
- Cisco TrustSec Helps customers build policy, identity and protection into the network with policy-based access control, identity-aware networking, and data integrity and confidentiality. With Cisco TrustSec, customers can better protect borderless networks by simplifying management of security policy and access control and enabling highly secure collaboration. The Cisco TrustSec solution is now expanded to include Cisco Network Admission Control (NAC) and Cisco Identity-Based Networking Services (IBNS).
Specific enhancements within Cisco AnyConnect include:
Specific enhancements within Cisco IronPort Web Security Appliance include:
Future plans call for extending the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility solution to include hybrid enforcement delivered through the Cisco IronPort S-Series appliances and cloud-based security delivered through Cisco ScanSafe. By combining the endpoint, the network and the cloud within one solution, Cisco will provide great flexibility and scalability for enterprises.
Availability: Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility is scheduled to be available in the second quarter of calendar year 2010.
New Cisco TrustSec features include integrated device profiling and guest access services for 802.1X environments, enhanced 802.1X-based technologies, advanced end-to-end monitoring and troubleshooting capabilities, delivery of Security Group Tag (SGT), and SGT Exchange Protocol (SXP) technologies for Cisco Catalyst® and Cisco Nexus® switches.
Availability: Expanded features within Cisco TrustSec are planned for delivery in the second quarter of calendar year 2010.
- Tom Gillis, vice president and general manager, Security Technology business unit, Cisco
- Alec Edworthy, Remote Access Service Manager, Loughborough University
- Anders Henriksson, networking department manager of TeleComputing
"The security needs of businesses are changing and becoming more complex, as more employees spend time out of the office accessing the corporate network via their smart phone or laptop. As a result, enterprises need a solution that will not hamper employee productivity, while helping to ensure that the network is not exposed to hackers, malware and other threats. AnyConnect Secure Mobility is the solution that our customers have been demanding, enabling them to strike that balance between providing consistent security and supporting access from individuals using any device to connect to the network from anywhere in the world."
"Our mobile workforce has made securing our corporate network extremely challenging, as we have to support multiple brands of laptops and phones, as well as cloud-based applications. These business-critical communications must be as secure as possible no matter how and where our employees connect across the globe. Cisco clearly recognized that changes in where business takes place significantly expand the network security problems we face. Cisco's AnyConnect Secure Mobility Solution gives us the confidence that we can improve our employees' productivity by enabling them to work anywhere at any time, without sacrificing our security policies."
"Cisco security technologies complement our focus on architecture and best practices to help secure our networks and data more effectively. Our company offers cloud computing services and our security policy requires 802.1X on LAN switches at customer premises for authentication. Cisco 802.1X technology not only allows us to implement our policy but it further helps us create and deliver the Managed LAN service for our customers."
- Read Cisco Security Strategy Explained: Q&A with Cisco's Tom Gillis
- Today at 11:30 a.m. Pacific time, please join Cisco's Tom Gillis and Chris Hoff for a live Talk2Cisco broadcast. Talk2Cisco is a live real-time social interactive online video broadcast featuring Cisco leaders answering questions submitted by you, the viewer. RSVP by logging on to http://www.ustream.tv/channel/talk2cisco.
- Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility
- Cisco TrustSec
- Cisco Security Center
- Cisco Security Products and Services
- Gartner Magic Quadrants
- Visit the Cisco Security Blog
- Follow us on Twitter @CiscoSecurity and become a fan on Facebook
- Cisco SIO To Go iPhone Application Version 2.0 Released today, the new application has also a host of new features for security professionals. In addition to customized threat alerts, new security signatures, mitigation bulletins, and malware and spam heat maps, the Cisco SIO To Go now offers push alerts, customization tailored to your Cisco security equipment, search, sharing and new feeds. The application is available at the iTunes store.
Cisco, ScanSafe, IronPort, VPN, virtual private networks, AnyConnect, TrustSec, secure mobility, mobility, network security, developers, firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, spam, virus, malware, software-as-a-service, SaaS, security as a service, enterprise security, security appliance.
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems, Cisco Nexus, Cisco TrustSec, Catalyst, and IronPort are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
Most Recent NewsCisco Completes Acquisition of Ubiquisys
The Network Week in Review and Look Ahead: May 20-24
Goldman Sachs and Cisco to Host Conference Call on Cisco's Cloud Computing Strategy