Telenor Connexion Expands Machine-to-Machine Services Using Cisco IP NGN Infrastructure
Telenor Connexion M2M Network Improves Reliability and Efficiency for Connected Vehicles, Monitoring Devices, Smart Meters and More
SAN JOSE, Calif., Feb. 9, 2010 Cisco today announced that it is working with Telenor Connexion, a wholly owned subsidiary of Telenor Group and the sixth-largest mobile operator in the world, to help deliver intelligent managed machine-to-machine (M2M) networking solutions. M2M communications travel between mobile devices and other electronic devices such as personal digital assistants, printers and hands-free vehicle systems.
- ABI Research forecasts that the mobile M2M connectivity market will grow from 58 million connections globally in 2008 to approximately 225 million in 2014, a compound annual growth rate of about 25 percent.
- In response to an explosion of M2M devices, Telenor Connexion has chosen Cisco mobile Internet technologies to upgrade its Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network (IP NGN) in order to increase network capacity, redundancy, flexibility, and policy control for its rapidly expanding M2M services.
- Telenor Connexion offers its M2M connectivity solutions to industries as diverse as automotive, security, utilities, healthcare and fleet management. These solutions are designed to increase productivity, manage costs, expand customer services and protect the environment. M2M services provide the foundation for the emerging "Internet of things" that requires unprecedented scale, performance and security.
- The Cisco IP NGN architecture helps enable mobile network operators like Telenor Connexion implement cost-effective IP NGN architectures for enhanced voice, data and M2M applications.
- Per Simonsen, CEO, Telenor Connexion
- David Goeckeler, senior director and general manager, services and mobility business unit, Cisco
"It's all about our customers. By deploying Cisco mobile Internet technologies, we can offer reliability in our mobile data network, while being cost-efficient and increasing our ability to expand efficiently the goal being to secure the most reliable mobile data networks for Telenor Connexion customers. The machine-to-machine market is growing rapidly. Within Europe alone there are several billion devices that could potentially be connected, and that number is expanding as new applications, like smart grids and remote healthcare, are developed and implemented."
"The machine-to-machine market presents mobile operators with some unique challenges because billions of devices can be connected to the mobile network, often with specific requirements such as wide coverage and geographical redundancy, support for IPv6 and more. We are excited to work with an innovative service provider like Telenor Connexion to offer solutions that will provide operating efficiencies, scalability and unique security and policy control capabilities to enable its advanced machine-to-machine applications."
- Telenor Connexion
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- View the full Cisco Mobile VNI Forecast for 2009-2014
- Recent Cisco Mobile Announcements
- Keep up with Cisco's news by visiting the company's Platform Blog.
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit SP360 or Twitter @CiscoSP360 and @CiscoSPG.
- Subscribe to Cisco's SP360 Feed.
Tags / Keywords:
Telenor Connexion, Cisco, Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network, IP NGN, machine-to-machine, M2M
RSS Feed for Cisco:
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
About Telenor Connexion
Telenor Connexion is a leading global provider of managed M2M connectivity solutions. Machine-to-machine (M2M) communication is a rapidly expanding market. Companies in industries as diverse as automotive, security, utilities and fleet management are implementing M2M solutions to achieve productivity gains, cost management, environmental improvement and to expand customer services. With more than 10 years of experience Telenor Connexion is an experienced and reliable partner. We are dedicated to our customers' business and understand their needs. Telenor Connexion has provided international, cost-effective M2M communication solutions to a number of global customers such as Volvo, Daimler and Securitas Direct. Telenor Connexion is wholly owned by Telenor Group, the world's sixth largest mobile operator. Telenor Group is an international provider of high quality tele, data and media communication services with mobile operations in 13 markets across the Nordic region, Central and Eastern Europe and in Asia.
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo and Cisco Systems are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
Most Recent NewsClara's Big Ride Unites Youth for a National Conversation on Mental Health
Cisco Launches Managed Threat Defense Service
Home Security and The Internet of Everything
By Jason Deign 4/22/2014