South Africa's Department of Health Successfully Road- Tests Cisco HealthPresence Solution in Free State
Cisco Solution Connects Urban Health Care Professionals with Rural Patients at Batho Clinic
BLOEMFONTEIN, South Africa, February 2, 2010 - Cisco joined forces with the Free State Department of Health recently to test Cisco's HealthPresenceTM solution in the province. The solution is aimed at improving rural health care and providing patients in the region with the best possible remote access to medical treatment. The solution was successfully tested at the Free State Department of Health Universitas Academic Hospital in Bloemfontein during the latter months of last year and proved to be a popular demonstration of how technology can be used to deliver health care over a distance. This solution was first demonstrated in South Africa at the GovTech conference in Durban during September 2009.
Highlights / Key Facts:
- During the trial period, the Cisco HealthPresence proof of concept allowed medical staff based at Universitas to interact remotely with patients serviced by the Batho Clinic. The solution combined video, audio, and medical information over an Internet Protocol (IP) broadband connection to create a virtual environment similar to that of a clinic or hospital. The HealthPresence proof of concept was available at the HCS (Head Clinical Services) Boardroom of Universitas Academic Hospital in Bloemfontein. Batho Clinic patients were remotely treated by specialists from all disciplines at Universitas Hospital.
- Cisco's HealthPresence solution eliminates the need for an on-site, face-to-face consultation, allowing health care providers to use technology to manage resources more efficiently and improve service delivery.
- Cisco® Connected Healthcare facilitates collaboration among staff and clinicians and efficient communication with patients and family members to improve the quality of care across Africa.
- Mr. MF Mofokeng, general manager, Infrastructure and Engineering Services Chief Directorate for Free State Department of Health
- Aggrey Rantloane, regional public sector sales manager for Cisco in South Africa
"This proof of concept showed that the Department of Health is continually looking at technology as one of the enablers to improve the delivery of health care services to all communities throughout South Africa. The Cisco HealthPresence solution offers an alternative health care delivery model that will provide convenience, better access, lower cost and quick deployment as well as creating a net new market for health care providers."
"As demands on public health care facilities increase in South Africa, connected health care is the way forward. It is therefore crucial to develop innovative and efficient technology solutions to manage escalating costs, accelerate field learning and maximise the use of skilled resources. Cisco's HealthPresence solution improves collaboration among health workers, thereby allowing a greater facility for self-treatment and patient involvement in primary care to optimise the performance of health care services. The result will be a healthier and economically stronger nation."
Links / URLs:
- Cisco Healthcare Website: www.cisco.com/web/strategy/healthcare/
- Follow Cisco on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Cisco_Systems
- News@Cisco in Africa: http://newsroom.cisco.com/africa
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems and Cisco HealthPresence are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
- Rose Bambi Cisco Systems, Inc. +44 7770 751109 email@example.com
Most Recent NewsPortable Power: Innovation in Mobile Battery Life
By Sue Tabbitt Today, 05:00 AM
The Network Week in Review and Look Ahead: March 3-7
Grupo Pochteca Evolves Its Data Center Based on FlexPod and Cisco UCS Servers