Swisscom Selects Cisco ASR 9000 to Prepare for the 'Zettabyte Era'
Cisco ASR 9000 Brings Unsurpassed Scale and Total-Cost-of-Ownership Benefits to Swisscom's Nationwide FTTH Rollout
SAN JOSE, Calif., Jan. 12, 2010 - Cisco announced today that Swisscom is deploying the Cisco® ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Router as the edge platform to support the rollout of high-bandwidth fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) services to every household in Switzerland. Swisscom announced FTTH customer trials in April 2009, offering triple-play service bundles, which allow the simultaneous use of up to three high-definition television (HDTV) channels, Internet connections of 50 megabits per second downstream and 5 Mbps upstream, and telephone services.
- Swisscom selected the Cisco ASR 9000 as its Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network (IP NGN) edge routing platform because Cisco provided a clear technology road map to meet Swisscom's future bandwidth requirements and protect its IP NGN infrastructure investment.
- Cisco also demonstrated how the Cisco ASR 9000 achieves significant reductions in network complexity to help Swisscom lower the total cost of ownership.
- At the end of September 2009, Swisscom had 1.8 million broadband subscribers in Switzerland.
- Launched in November 2008, the Cisco ASR 9000 is designed to deliver up to 6.4 terabits per second total capacity, a nonstop video experience and a reduced carbon footprint. The Cisco ASR 9000 also offers unique video capabilities such as an integrated in-line video monitoring (Vidmon) that uses a standard authored by Cisco.
- The "zettabyte era" is approaching as global IP traffic is increasing at a combined annual growth rate (CAGR) of 46 percent, nearly doubling every two years. This will result in an annual bandwidth demand on the world's IP NGNs of more than half a zettabyte. A zettabyte is equal to 1 trillion gigabytes, 1,000 exabytes, or 250 billion DVDs. (Source: Cisco Visual Networking Index IP traffic growth forecast 2007- 2012.)
Patrice Haldemann, head of FTTH Rollout and Access, Swisscom
"Our relationship with Cisco spans more than a decade, and Cisco has always proved that it can deliver on project execution and technology innovation. Swisscom is investing in the broadband future of every household and business in Switzerland, and the Cisco ASR family fulfills the performance and energy-efficiency demands of world-class, next-generation FTTH platforms."
Guido Garrone, chief technology officer, Swisscom
"With the Cisco ASR 9000, we gain significant technological, operational and financial advantages. The Cisco ASR 9000 provides the capacity for network bandwidth growth and the necessary quality of service capabilities for our triple-play service offerings, and it helps us to simplify network operations in extending the Cisco IOS XR operating system from the Cisco CRS-1 core to the Metro Ethernet aggregation layer."
Kelly Ahuja, senior vice president and general manager, Service Provider Routing Technology Group, Cisco
"In 2005, Swisscom decided to build the foundation for its future on the Cisco CRS-1 carrier routing technology. With Cisco CRS-1 systems in its core network and Cisco ASR series routers at the network edge, Swisscom is well-equipped to address the demands of the zettabyte era."
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- Telstra Deploys Cisco ASR 9000 Edge Router
- DT and Cisco ASR 9000: Capacity and Capability Enable Advanced Services
- Cisco Delivers the Carrier Ethernet Foundation for the 'Zettabyte Era': The new Cisco Aggregation Services Router 9000
- Cisco Recognizes Verizon Wireless for Operational Excellence
- Cisco Visual Networking Index Forecast Web Site
- Cisco ASR 9000 Series
- Keep up with Cisco's news by visiting the company's Platform Blog.
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit SP360 or Twitter @CiscoSP360 and @CiscoSPG.
- Subscribe to Cisco's SP360 Feed.
Tags / Keywords: Swisscom, Cisco, Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network, IP NGN, Aggregation Services Router, Cisco ASR, Cisco ASR 9000
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information on Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Cisco, Cisco Systems, and the Cisco Systems logo are registered trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
Most Recent NewsGoldman Sachs and Cisco to Host Conference Call on Cisco's Cloud Computing Strategy
Today, 11:00 AM
Chinese Cable Operator Zhejiang Wasu Taps Cisco for 100 Gigabit Backbone
Today, 05:00 AM
Media Alert: Cisco to Webcast Annual Visual Networking Index (VNI) Global IP Traffic Forecast 2012-2017 Results
Today, 05:00 AM