Onet.pl Group Chooses Cisco Nexus Data Center Platform to Increase Market Leadership With Innovative Video Services
KRAKOW, Poland Dec 16, 2009 Cisco announced today that Onet.pl Group, owner of the popular online portal Onet.pl, has deployed the next-generation Cisco Nexus® platform for its new data centre in Krakow. Onet.pl created a flexible, scalable virtualized environment to serve the fast-growing number of customers who would like to make use of the portal's innovative video-based services.
Highlights / Key facts:
- Onet.pl offers a wide range of Internet video services, from video-on-demand to news and film clips. The portal, which has a combined offering of news, e-mail, video, blog and social media, attracts nearly 12.5 million real users per month.
- At the heart of the new data centre are Cisco Nexus 7000 Series Switches, complemented by Nexus 5000 Series Switches and Nexus 2000 Fabric Extenders. This architecture helps Onet.pl run multiple applications and operating systems from a single resource pool.
- The Cisco Nexus solution maximizes capacity usage and helps simplify the entire infrastructure, thereby contributing to the reduction of operating expenses and energy costs. Virtualization also assists Onet.pl to launch innovative services in response to emerging opportunities and to rapidly increase capacity, with minimal impact on existing services.
- The Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE)-ready data centre has been designed to support up to 5,000 servers. Potential connection speeds to the data centre have been increased up to 10 times to 10 gigabits per second (Gbps). The fabric architecture of the Cisco Nexus 7000 Series Switch supports greatly increased data centre processing power, helping to scale beyond 15 terabits per second (Tbps), with a switching capacity of more than 500 gigabytes per slot.
- Pawel Lezanski, chief technology officer, Onet.pl
- Pawel Malak, general manager, Cisco Poland
"Over the past 13 years, Onet.pl has become Poland's largest portal. With high popularity ratings, however, came the realization that our four-site data centre architecture was unnecessarily complex. It consumed a lot of power and could not be easily scaled. To keep market leadership, we decided to build a brand-new data centre in Krakow, equipped with the latest technologies. Cisco had both the solutions and the ideas to help us."
"Studies such as the Cisco Visual Networking Index show that video is becoming a key driver of traffic over the Internet. People love video for news, entertainment and communications. Onet.pl was early to realize the power of video, and at Cisco we are pleased to have provided a robust data centre platform that will help enable the portal's future growth."
Cisco, Onet.pl, Data center, Cisco Nexus
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
- Visit Onet.pl
- More information on Cisco: www.cisco.com
- Cisco Visual Networking Index: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2009/prod_060909.html
Onet.pl Group operates a range of leading Polish web properties including: Onet.pl (the most popular horizontal portal), Sympatia.pl (the leading dating site), OnetBlog and Blog.pl (the largest blogging communities) and ZUMI.pl (map based online "yellow pages" business). Together with its owner TVN Group Onet.pl Group belongs to ITI Holding, which is Poland's leading private media and entertainment group active in television broadcasting, Internet, digital television platform and multiplex cinema operations.
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco equipment in Europe is supplied by Cisco Systems International BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems and Cisco Nexus are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.