Cisco Networking Academy Congratulates Winners of 2009 US and Canada NetRiders Skills Challenge
Competition Showcases Students' Advanced Technical Skills
San Jose, Calif., Dec. 7, 2009 Cisco today announced the winners of the Cisco® Networking Academy® NetRiders Skills Challenge, an interactive contest designed by the Cisco Networking Academy to give technical education students the opportunity to showcase their IT and networking skills and to recognize excellence among Networking Academy students. More than 600 students from across the United States and Canada competed in the competition, which consisted of three rounds culminating in a virtual event on Nov. 20.
NetRiders Skills Competition:
- NetRiders utilizes Cisco's Web 2.0 technologies to create an interactive experience, enhance classroom learning and motivate young people to pursue further technology education and training.
- More than 10,000 students across 82 countries have competed in regional NetRiders competitions over the last several months.
- The U.S. and Canada NetRiders Finale involved 38 teams of Networking Academy students competing in a variety of activities, including a timed theoretical exam, a Cisco Packet Tracer network simulation activity and a Cisco Packet Tracer exam.
- First-place winners Sam Greene and Ruben Frias of Community College of Rhode Island and second-place winners Chris Cowie and Danny Machnik of Durham College in Oshawa, Ont., were awarded a grand-prize trip to Cisco headquarters in San Jose, Calif. There they will join other international winners and have the opportunity to meet with Cisco executives and tour Cisco offices, the Stanford University campus and attractions in San Francisco.
- The remaining top eight teams from the competition were awarded prizes including Flip VideoTM cameras, iPod touch and Linksys® wireless routers:
- 3rd Place: Robert Bevill and Michael Pappas, Ivy Tech State Region 4, Lafayette, Ind.
- 4th Place: Jason Young and Ryan Steele, Metropolitan Community College, Kansas City, Mo.
- 5th Place: John Ramos and Gerardo Tirado, Rock Valley College, Rockford, Ill.
- 6th Place: Paul Long and Randy Edler, Davenport University, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- 7th Place: Charles Heres and Roger Fernandes, Bunker Hill Community College, Boston
- 8th Place: Berthold Verress and Vincent Séguin, Cégep de l'Outaouais, Outaouais, Quebec
- 9th Place: Lik Wong and Romel Meier, Miami Lakes Educational Center, Miami Lakes, Fla.
- 10th Place: Rya and Keif, Matthew Snyder, Blue Ridge Community and Technical College, Martinsburg, W.Va.
Cisco Networking Academy:
- The Cisco Networking Academy is a global technology education program that provides students with networking and technical skills to prepare them for careers in the 21st century.
- Committed to delivering the highest standard of information technology education to students of all nationalities and economic brackets, the program is designed to offer students real-world skills that will position them for employment and career growth.
- Amy Christen, vice president of corporate affairs and general manager of the Cisco Networking Academy, said:
"Congratulations to all of the students who competed in this exciting event. We are delighted that the Cisco Networking Academy has been able to provide this opportunity for students to showcase their skills and compete with their peers in an immersive hands-on competition. We look forward to seeing these talented young people continue to pursue technical education in the growing information technology field."
- YouTube: Competitions and the Cisco Networking Academy
- NetRiders Web Site: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/us/netriders.html#~cps
- For more information about the Cisco Networking Academy, visit http://www.cisco.com/go/netacad.
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Cisco, Cisco Systems, the Cisco Systems logo, and Networking Academy are registered trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
# # #
- Cara Ann Sloman Cisco Systems, Inc. 831 440-2411 firstname.lastname@example.org
Most Recent NewsCisco Declares Quarterly Cash Dividend
Cisco Honored With "Ten-Year Recognition Award for Outstanding Contribution in Corporate Social Responsibility"
New Cisco Desktop as a Service (DaaS) Solution Enables Cloud Providers to Offer Virtualized Desktops to Their Customers as a Service