Kazakhtelecom Launches High-Speed Internet-Protocol-Based Services with Cisco Next-Generation Optical Network
First Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network in CIS with IPoDWDM for Full IP and Optical Integration
ALMATY, Kazakhstan Dec. 2, 2009 Kazakhtelecom and Cisco, in collaboration with the AMT Group, today announced that JSC Kazakhtelecom has deployed a Cisco® Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network (IP NGN) based on Cisco optical networking and routing technologies. Project design and implementation was carried out by the specialists of AMT Group, a Cisco Gold Certified Partner, based in Moscow.
The solution enables Kazakhtelecom to take advantage of its existing fiber optic infrastructure in Almaty and to offer Internet-based services to business and residential customers. These services include high-speed Internet access with integrated voice, video and data; virtual private network (VPN) offerings for businesses; Cisco TelePresenceTM virtual meetings, and IPTV.
Key Facts / Highlights:
- This IP NGN deployment represents the first fully integrated IP over dense wavelength division-multiplexing (IPoDWDM) network in the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) and in respect of some innovative IPoDWDM features, it is one of the first worldwide. The optical and IP layers have been completely integrated, with the optical layer providing increased capacity and availability, whilst the IP layer is the platform for Internet-based services.
- In addition to the ability to launch new services for customers, the solution brings significant savings in capital and operating expenditures resulting from the integration of advanced DWDM optical transmitters into the routers, simplified network management, and reduced rack space and power consumption.
- Kazakhtelecom's Internet Protocol/Multiprotocol Label Switching (IP/MPLS) core infrastructure in Almaty runs on the Cisco CRS-1 Carrier Routing System platform. The next-generation optical transport network is based on DWDM infrastructure, equipped with the Cisco ONS 15454 Multiservice Transport Platform.
- The DWDM technology utilizes reconfigurable optical add-drop multiplexer (ROADM) devices implementing omnidirectional capabilities and virtual transponder functionalities. This provides maximum flexibility (any service can be provisioned and delivered end-to-end from the centralized Cisco transport management system), scalability (up to 3.2 terabits per second) and resiliency (network survivability from multiple simultaneous failures).
- In May, Cisco and Kazakhtelecom announced that they are extending their cooperation and work on a number of new initiatives. These are designed to help Kazakhtelecom develop integrated services for its private, institutional and enterprise customers, both domestically and internationally. The current deployment is an important milestone of the cooperation, which is aimed at bringing the most innovative networking technologies to Kazakhstan.
- Alexander Lezgovko, chief technology officer, Kazakhtelecom
- Vyacheslav Allenov, deputy general manager, AMT Group
- Aidar Dauletov, general manager, Cisco Kazakhstan
"This project is part of a complex program for the modernization of the telecom infrastructure in Almaty and of Kazakhtelecom's general development strategy. In the competitive situation at the telecom market, we need to retain existing subscribers and attract new ones. To achieve this, Kazakhtelecom is implementing programs to increase the quality of service, broaden the service portfolio, and establish a process for quickly and professionally addressing potential issues."
"In Almaty we have the largest demand for our network capacities, so we initially need the new network here. Increasing subscriber satisfaction, introducing new services, and growing our client base are important focus areas, supported by the latest innovations from Cisco, the world's leading networking company, and the experience of our partner AMT Group. This project is unique in terms of complexity and high technological efficiency. It enables simple maintenance, high reliability and scalability."
"The new network will help us retain a leading position in the fixed telephony market, build a mass market for broadband Internet access, and fully digitalize the local network. The network forms the transport base for multimedia services like high-speed Internet, interactive television, next-generation telephony and VPN services. It provides high quality and readiness for the growth of our subscriber base and for the implementation of new services."
"We were happy to participate in the planning and implementation of Kazakhtelecom's network of the future. As IP traffic is growing rapidly and new services appear, there is a need for significant network scalability and flexibility. However, such an investment requires the maximum usage of resources and minimum cost of scalability within the next several years. This task can be solved by using integrated, intelligent optical transport solutions like the Cisco IPoDWDM MPLS/DWDM network built by our company for Kazakhtelecom in Almaty. We believe that this successful implementation will serve as a basis for development of next-generation optical transport networks."
"As one of the critical ingredients for this IP NGN network, the Cisco IPoDWDM architecture offers Kazakhtelecom the optimum combination of flexibility, capacity and future-proofing, enabling it to accelerate the introduction of innovative services that will allow for increased productivity and collaboration among businesses and end users alike."
Cisco, Kazakhtelecom, AMT, IPoDWDM, IP NGN, DWDM, IP/MPLS, Cisco CRS-1, Cisco ONS 15454.
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
- Read more about Cisco IPoDWDM solutions here.
Kazakhtelecom JSC - a leading service provider in Kazakhstan and one of the most rapidly developing telecom companies in post-Soviet countries - provides a wide range of ICT services. 51% of Kazakhtelecom's shares belong to the Government of Kazakhstan in the name of Fund of National Welfare 'Samruk-Kazyna'. Kazakhtelecom's HQ is based in the capital of Kazakhstan, Astana city. The company has branches in each oblast (province) of Kazakhstan and provides telecom services all over the country. Kazakhtelecom has also representative offices in the Russian Federation, People's Republic of China and Republic of Tajikistan. The operator serves more than 3.333 mln subscribers of fixed lines. Telephone density in Kazakhstan is about 23.4 fixed lines per 100 people. Kazakhtelecom JSC closely cooperates with more than 40 international service providers. At the end of 2008, total number of Internet-users at Kazakhtelecom (including daughter companies) became more than 1mln 190 thousand subscribers that is 41.5% more than in 2007. Out of this, number of broadband users (including daughter companies) exceeds 660 thousand people. More detailed information about Kazakhtelecom JSC is available at www.telecom.kz.
About AMT Group
AMT Group as a leading Russian systems integrator has high technical expertise and offers best-in-class international practices and effective high-class solutions. AMT Group specializes in design, implementation and technical support of complex telecommunication, information and information security systems, consulting projects and trainings for customers' personnel.
AMT Group is partnering with 50 prominent equipment and software manufactures - Avaya, Cisco, Ericsson, Genesys, HP, IBM, Microsoft, Polycom, Tandberg and many others. AMT Group has four branch offices in Moscow, Saint-Petersburg, Krasnodar and Minsk (Belorussia). AMT Group has more than 60 regional service partners with and a partner network in more than hundred Russian and CIS cities. The company provides a multivendor Prototyping Center to launch and test solutions to be implemented in complicated large projects.
AMT has more than 350 employees , including 150 design and technical support engineers with different specializations. 13 employees have been qualified as Cisco Certified Internetwork Experts, carrying the top level expertise in networking technologies. More detailed information about AMT can be found at www.amt.ru
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco equipment in Europe is supplied by Cisco Systems International BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems and Cisco TelePresence are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.