Virgin Media Upgrades Digital TV Platform With Cisco
Cisco Helps Virgin Media Evolve Network into a Medianet, a Platform Optimised for Rich-Media Delivery
LONDON, / IBC Amsterdam, September 11, 2009 - Cisco today announced that Virgin Media, a leading entertainment and communications company in the UK, has chosen Cisco to support its Internet Protocol (IP) TV distribution platform and help upgrade its legacy digital TV infrastructure.
Virgin Media will deploy Cisco® Digital Video Headend technology in all of its regional and central headends to enable growth in standard-definition and advanced high-definition TV (HDTV) services. Deployed across Virgin Media's national fibre optic network, Cisco IP core and edge network technologies will provide high-speed distribution between the central and regional headends and support delivery to Virgin Media's high-speed access network. On completion, the new TV platform will be capable of delivering advanced services to more than 12.6 million UK homes.
Highlights / Key Facts:
- Virgin Media's upgraded TV distribution platform will be extensively based on Cisco technology, including Cisco's IP Next-Generation Network core and edge routing and switching, digital video headend solutions, and system management and monitoring.
- The project, managed by Cisco, includes installation, full system integration, the priming of third-party elements and support provided by the Cisco Advanced Video Services Group.
- The simplified infrastructure will help Virgin Media to reduce operating expenses, support the rollout of new conditional-access security services, and accelerate the introduction of new standard- and high-definition services.
- Daniel Hennessy, director of technical architecture at Virgin Media
- Phil Smith, vice president, Cisco UK & Ireland
"Upgrading our digital TV platform means we can continue bringing innovative new services to our customers. With greater resilience and added capacity, we can guarantee an outstanding viewer experience as we add further HD content to our TV platform. Cisco has the right experience and expertise to deliver a complete solution and help support the rollout of a next generation of entertainment services."
"Cisco values the relationship with Virgin Media, which has developed and deepened over the years. Since Cisco introduced the concept of medianets, intelligent networks that are optimised to deliver rich-media content, we have seen service providers like Virgin Media take the lead in transforming their networks to really differentiate the consumer experience. With the new IP-based TV transmission platform, Virgin Media customers can look forward to services that will change the way they are entertained."
Links / URLs:
- Virgin Media's web site: www.virginmedia.com
- Currently, Virgin Media is also deploying Cisco DOCSIS® 3.0 technology for its 50 Mbps broadband service rollout in the UK. Cisco is also providing technology and support in the 200Mbps broadband trial, which Virgin Media is running in Ashford, Kent. http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1284873
- Learn more about medianets, intelligent networks optimized for rich media content: http://www.cisco.com/web/solutions/medianet/index.html
- Further information on Cisco technologies used in Virgin Media's TV distribution platform:
- Cisco 7609 Routers http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps368/ps367/index.html
- Cisco Catalyst® 4948 10 Gigabit Ethernet switches http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6021/ps6230/product_data_sheet0900aecd80246552.html
- Cisco Digital Content Manager http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps9159/ps9195/ps9230/7004373.pdf
- Cisco RFGW 1 RF Gateways http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps9159/ps9195/ps8360/product_data_sheet0900aecd8066a0d4.html
- Cisco Multicast Manager http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6337/index.html
- ROSA® configuration control and monitoring http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10152/index.html
Tags / Keywords:
Cisco, Virgin Media, IPTV, HDTV, cable, connected life, video, medianet
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco equipment in Europe is supplied by Cisco Systems International BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems, Catalyst and ROSA are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. DOCSIS is a registered trademark of Cable Television Laboratories, Inc. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
Most Recent NewsClara's Big Ride Unites Youth for a National Conversation on Mental Health
Cisco Launches Managed Threat Defense Service
Home Security and The Internet of Everything
By Jason Deign 4/22/2014