Cisco Enriches Digital Video Experience for Serbia Broadband Consumers
Medianet Technology Brings High-Definition Video and Personalized On-Demand Services to Southeast Europe
BELGRADE, Serbia / IBC, Amsterdam - September 9, 2009 - Cisco today announced that it is developing an end-to-end digital video solution for Serbia Broadband (SBB) and Telemach in Slovenia to provide rich, interactive and personalized media experiences to their subscribers. Starting November 2009, consumers will be able to access high-definition (HD) video, to be followed by a variety of interactive services such as real-time video on demand (VoD), digital video recording (DVR), gaming, and information retrieval for live news and weather updates.
As consumers demand more social, personal and interactive experiences with greater mobility and control, Serbia Broadband is evolving its network into a medianet, an all-IP next-generation network optimized for rich media. SBB will use Cisco's medianet-technologies to incorporate media-aware intelligence throughout its network infrastructure. This step will give greater flexibility and scalability to dynamically adapt content distribution to all media types.
Key Facts / Highlights:
- Serbia Broadband is transforming its video infrastructure with Cisco® solutions and is laying the foundation for consumers to experience "Connected Life" services.
- Cisco will provide a pre-packaged series of applications that enable SBB to deploy new services, including interactive games, news and weather information. The complete end-to-end digital video solution will be managed through master video head-ends in Serbia and Slovenia, with service deployments scheduled to begin in November 2009.
- Cisco medianet-technologies to be deployed include the Cisco Content Delivery System (CDS), next-generation IP-capable set-top boxes, Cisco RF Gateway QAMs, video acquisition and content management solutions, and pre-packaged applications; end-to-end integration will be handled by the Cisco Advanced Video Services Group. Cisco PowerKEY® conditional access systems provide SBB with the security needed for content distribution.
- Video over the Internet is quickly gaining popularity in the region. According to the Cisco Visual Networking Index, IP traffic in Central and Eastern Europe will reach 2 exabytes per month by 2013, driven mainly by the increase in video traffic on networks. Monthly Internet traffic in Central and Eastern Europe is expected to generate 340 million DVDs worth of traffic, or 1.4 exabytes per month, by 2013.
- Dragan Solak, chairman of the board, Serbia Broadband and Telemach
"With consumers demanding a more social, personalized and interactive digital video experience, we have to be quick to adapt our network infrastructure to realize the market opportunity and sustain leadership. Cisco's Connected Life vision maps perfectly with our strategy to offer a next-generation digital media experience to our customers. SBB and Telemach selected Cisco because it is able to provide a complete end-to-end solution for all the services we want to offer our subscribers, including HD, DVR, games, broadcast information services and video on demand. We will also be able to introduce new services as Cisco adds new features and functions. We see Cisco as our technology partner whose turnkey solutions are allowing us to focus on providing a service to our subscribers. Cisco's medianet makes us very competitive compared to other technologies and fit for the future."
- Duncan Mitchell, senior vice president, Cisco Emerging Markets East
"As service providers gear up to offer a variety of interactive, on-demand services and establish greater service differentiation with new avenues for revenue, medianets are the future for the delivery of bandwidth intensive content and applications. By selecting Cisco's medianet technologies to introduce first to market video services to consumers in Southeast Europe, Serbia Broadband has made a strong commitment for a better quality of service to consumers. This deployment underscores Cisco's expertise in enabling providers to deliver enriched digital video experiences."
- (Whitepaper) Cisco Media-Optimized Technologies for the Medianet Age: Accelerating the Transformation from Service Provider to Experience Provider
- Learn more about medianet.
- Cisco Visual Networking Index Forecast home page: http://www.cisco.com/go/vni.
- Follow Cisco's service provider news and activities on SP360 Blog.
- Subscribe to Cisco's RSS Feed.
Technorati Tags: Cisco, Serbia Broadband, medianet, Video-on-Demand, VoD, Digital Video Recording, DVR, Connected Life, Cisco RF Gateway Series, Cisco PowerKEY, Video 2.0, Cisco platform, network
About Serbia Broadband (SBB) and Telemach
SBB and Telemach share the same majority owner, Mid Europa Fund Management Company and the same Chairman of the Board, Mr. Dragan Solak. Both companies provide wide range of products and services to residential and business customers. SBB offers variety of cable TV, Internet and DTH services in the Adriatic region and is a leading technical innovator constantly introducing new technologies and services.
Telemach is the leading triple-play provider in Slovenia with a cable network covering all major cities and 80 smaller towns. As both companies operate in the markets with high growth potential they have secured investments funding for the next stage of development in order to capitalize on this growth.
About Cisco Systems
Cisco Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: CSCO), is the worldwide leader in networking for the Internet. Information on Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Cisco, Cisco Systems, and the Cisco Systems logo are registered trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
Most Recent NewsCisco to Host Financial Analyst Conference 2013 Webcast
Startups in the UK Unlock New Opportunities with 4G
By Sue Tabbitt 12/9/2013
Senators unveil Canadian Tire Centre Vision, a 700-screen high-definition experience, at Canadian Tire Centre