Cisco Networking Academy Expands Offerings to Address Growing Demand for Information Security Skills
CCNA Curriculum Helps Students Prepare for In-Demand Job Roles
SAN JOSE, Calif., August, 11, 2009 - For more than a decade, Cisco® Networking Academy® program has partnered with the education community to help students worldwide enter rewarding careers by teaching valuable networking and information technology (IT) skills. Recognizing the growing demand for entry-level professionals with networking security and risk-management skills, Networking Academy today announced the availability of a new Cisco CCNA® Security course, which will be available to students globally via colleges and universities that are part of Networking Academy community.
- Security and risk-management skills are among the most sought-after skills in networking, and global demand continues to grow. Organizations around the world are experiencing a shortage of qualified ICT (information and communications technology) candidates with the specialized knowledge and skills needed to administer devices and applications in a highly secure infrastructure, to recognize network vulnerabilities, and to mitigate security threats.
- According to a recent study conducted by Forrester Consulting on behalf of Cisco, dedicated security roles are expected in 80 percent of the companies studied worldwide by 2012.
- Since 1997, Networking Academy has grown to reach a diverse population of more than 750,000 students each year in more than 165 countries. All students receive the same high-quality education through their local educational institutions, supported by online content and assessments, performance tracking, hands-on labs and interactive learning tools.
- The Cisco Networking Academy CCNA Security course provides a next step for individuals who want to enhance their CCNA-level skill set and help meet the growing demand for networking professionals with specialized skills.
- The curriculum provides an introduction to the core security concepts and skills needed for the installation, troubleshooting, and monitoring of network devices to maintain the integrity, confidentiality and availability of data and devices.
- Cisco Packet Tracer, the powerful simulation and visualization software developed by Cisco Networking Academy, has been enhanced to provide support for the security protocols covered in the CCNA Security curriculum.
- CCNA Security courseware and Cisco Packet Tracer 5.2 are available now.
CCNA Security Certification
- CCNA Security helps students prepare for the Implementing Cisco IOS® Network Security (IINS) certification exam (640-553) leading to the Cisco CCNA Security certification.
- With the CCNA Security certification, an individual demonstrates the skills required to develop a security infrastructure, recognize network threats and vulnerabilities, and mitigate security threats with a focus on industry-leading Cisco equipment, while providing general network security knowledge that is applicable across multiple vendor platforms.
- The CCNA Security certification helps students develop the skills needed for job roles such as network security specialists, security administrators and network security support engineers.
- The CCNA Security certification prerequisite is a valid CCNA.
- Amy Christen, vice president, Corporate Affairs and general manager, Cisco Networking Academy, said:
- Ashraf Salem, head teacher, Meadowbank ICT, Northern Sydney Institute, said:
- Ye-Zhai Chau, student, Meadowbank ICT, Northern Sydney Institute, said:
- Lewis Lightner, chairperson, Networking Technology, Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College, said:
"Cisco Networking Academy provides lifelong learning and career ladders for students to find and develop rewarding career opportunities, improving the future for themselves and their communities. This new CCNA Security curriculum reflects the evolving technologies and specialized security skills that will help students succeed in today's global, networked economy."
"Businesses of all sizes and in all industries are looking for professionals with the advanced skills needed to maintain and secure their increasingly complex networks. The education provided by Cisco Networking Academy helps prepare students for rewarding careers in exciting fields. The new security course will provide an opportunity for students to further enhance their skills and prepare for in-demand job roles."
"I found the CCNA Security course to be very beneficial in my understanding of safeguarding networks and databases. I could apply the skills acquired from this course to set up complex passwords for security purposes. I feel that I have gained a deeper understanding regarding network attacks and in which manner to safeguard against future attacks."
"The CCNA Security curriculum provides the specialized technical and soft skills required for networking professionals to excel in today's job market. Students are very excited about the opportunity to build on the core routing and switching skills they have already acquired through Networking Academy courses and to develop new skills. The CCNA Security curriculum has been field-tested by educators around the world to ensure the materials are relevant and meet the exceptional quality standards of Cisco Networking Academy."
- Cisco Networking Academy: http://www.cisco.com/go/netacad
- Workforce Retraining Initiative: http://www.workforceretrainingus.com
Talent Development, Certifications, IT Certifications, Cisco, Cisco Networking Academy, Security, CCNA, CCNA Security, Cisco Certifications
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems, CCNA, Cisco IOS, and Cisco Networking Academy are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.