Students Win Prestigious Cisco Networking Competition
Contestants From More Than 40 Countries Competed Simultaneously in a Virtual Competition to Win Five US Study Trips Sponsored by Cisco
LONDON, July 7, 2009 Cisco today announced that the following students have won the prestigious Internet networking competition 'International NetRiders', which was held across Western Europe, the Middle East and Africa (MEA), and Central and Eastern Europe (CEE), as well as Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS):
|Overall top male score:||Andraz Piletic, Slovenia|
|Overall top female score:||Marie Claire Fonk, Malta|
|Europe winner:||Nicolas Rolans, Belgium|
|CEE, Russia/CIS winner:||Martin Danko, Czech Republic|
|MEA winner:||Chrispin Mwakidisa, Kenya|
Key Facts / Highlights
- The International NetRiders contest, held for the second year, took place on July 1 in real time across multiple time zones, from Kazakhstan to the United Kingdom.
- The competition combined a one-hour multiple-choice quiz and practical networking tasks using Packet Tracer network simulation software.
- The 117 finalists were selected through national heats and information technology (IT)-skills contests organized by the Cisco® Networking Academy® in each of the 41 countries taking part in the competition, with only the top three from each nation going through to the final.
- The five winners include the top male scorer overall, the top female scorer overall, and the top scorer from each of the three main geographic areas taking part: Western Europe; the Middle East and Africa; and CEE, Russia and the CIS.
- The five students will join winners from other NetRiders competitions around the world for a one-week study tour in California in January 2010. They will spend a working week at Cisco headquarters in San Jose; meet with senior executives, systems engineers, and experts from Cisco and other IT organisations; and experience the Californian lifestyle with trips to San Francisco and Stanford University.
- Penny Bradley, student advocacy manager for the Networking Academy in European and Emerging Markets
- Thierry Drilhon, vice president Europe, Worldwide Channels, Cisco
- Csilla Bessenyei, one of the winners from last year's contest, said of her January 2009 visit, "We couldn't get this experience anywhere else." Pavel Stefanov, another winner, added, "It was the experience of a lifetime."
"We acknowledge the value of skills contests. NetRiders enables us to test knowledge, motivate students, recognise talent and reward achievement."
"Despite the global economic downturn, our Cisco partners are telling us that there is a continuing need for skilled individuals to fill job openings within their organizations. Skills contests such as NetRiders provide a great opportunity to identify top talents for recruitment."
Tags, Keywords: Cisco, Cisco Networking Academy, e-learning
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
- More information regarding NetRiders can be found at:
- To read more on Cisco Networking Academy, please visit:
About Cisco Networking Academy
Launched in 1997, Cisco Networking Academy is a partnership between Cisco, education, business, government and community organizations around the world, aimed at nurturing IT professionals. The education programme employs an e-learning model, using a combination of Web-based and instructor-led training along with a hands-on lab environment to teach students how to design, build and maintain computer networks. Worldwide, more than 2 million students have graduated from a total of approximately 10,000 academies in more than 165 countries.
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco equipment in Europe is supplied by Cisco Systems International BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc
# # #
Cisco, Cisco Systems, the Cisco Systems logo and Networking Academy are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
Most Recent NewsCosentino Group Optimizes Its Technological Platform With Solutions by Cisco
Today, 05:00 AM
Cisco Cloud Connections: Your Amazing Cloud Journey Starts Here
Today, 12:00 AM
Archipelago International and Cisco Transform the Hospitality Industry in Indonesia