Cisco and MCITA Collaborate to Enhance Education in Russia's Secondary Schools and Colleges
275 Additional Cisco Networking Academy Venues to Open Across Russia
Moscow, RUSSIA June 28, 2009 In an effort to improve the quality of Russia's secondary and college education systems, the Moscow Centre for Informational Technologies and Analytics (MCITA) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Cisco to increase the number of Cisco® Networking Academy® sites in the country. The collaboration will take the form of a two-year program that will train and provide professional development for teachers in secondary schools and colleges, and provide easy access to modern information and communications technology (ICT) for pupils and teachers.
Building on an education initiative that delivers information and communication technology skills around the world, the number of Cisco Networking Academy sites in Russia will increase from 125 to as many as 400 across the country,
Highlights/ Key Facts:
- Since 1997, the Cisco Networking Academy has developed an ecosystem of public-private partnerships to extend the program benefits to more than 700,000 students a year in more than 165 countries including Russia and the CIS countries.
- By supporting the development of ICT skills in communities around the world, the Networking Academy program helps address the continuing global shortage of ICT and networking professionals, while providing opportunities for career advancement, continuing education, and economic gains.
- The memorandum provides an agreement to work together and determine:
- Co-operation in the field of training and re-training, including the training of teachers in secondary schools and colleges.
- The provision of open access for school children and school teachers to develop ICT.
- Facilitating the activities to open local Cisco Networking Academy sites in educational establishments in Moscow, including the alignment and selection of educational institutions.
- The development of a plan of action to improve the quality of education in Russian secondary education.
- A week after the MOU was signed, MCITA and Cisco arranged a seminar for leaders of regional administrations of education and methodology centers.
- The Moscow Center for Informational Technologies and Analytics was opened in April 1993. It provides information and analytical and technological support to the development of the city.
- The main objectives of the MCITA are to organize and implement activities for urban programs including education. The center also develops strategies for the development and introduction of ICT in the Moscow educational system.
- To date, the center has played a key part in the unifying of the educational information environment of Moscow.
- Bob Agee, vice president Russia, at Cisco:
- Vladimir Yablonsky, director, at MCITA:
"Education has never been more important than in the current global environment to ensure the leaders of tomorrow are equipped with the knowledge and skills needed to take on a new breed of challenges. As Russia moves even further toward its goal of digitization and becoming a knowledge-based economy, we're pleased to work together with leading institutions like MCITA to develop and promote excellence in education throughout Russia by providing students and teachers with the latest curricula and means of access."
"An analysis of accomplishments by world-class companies like Cisco shows that their expertise, scientific and practical experience in the sphere of informatization of education secures a modern quality of education in the metropolitan area."
Links / URLs:
Talent Development, Education, Certifications, IT Certifications, Cisco, Cisco Networking Academy, Russia
The Centre for Informational Technologies and Analytics was set up in 1993 to provide analytical and technological support to the education system in Moscow. Its main areas of activities are development and execution of city-wide target programs, i.e. Moscow Education, e-Moscow, and Labor Skills, as well as implementation of the top priority "Education" national project. The Center defines IT development and deployment strategy and ensures comprehensive informatization of Moscow's education system.
The Center carries out research and development in education and IT, in creation and actualization of information resources, development and implementation of innovative solutions. Today the Center is a key component of a common information environment of Moscow.
About Cisco Systems
Cisco Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Detailed information about Cisco solutions, technologies and operations is published at www.cisco.com/ru and www.cisco.com. Latest corporate news are available at http://www.cisco.com/web/RU/news/ and http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco equipment in Europe is supplied by Cisco Systems International BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
# # #
Cisco, Cisco Systems, the Cisco Systems logo and IOS trademarks belong to Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its associates in the United States and in other countries. All trademarks mentioned in this document are owned by their respective owners. The use of the term "partner" does not imply any associative relation between Cisco and another company. This document is part of Cisco's Public Information.