Cisco Makes Significant Updates to Award-Winning Products Launched at Consumer Electronics Show in January
Irvine, Calif. June 16, 2009 Cisco® today announced it has made hardware, software, and firmware updates to the lines of Linksys by Cisco branded consumer products it announced at the Consumer Electronics Show in January.
The Linksys by Cisco Media Hub product lineup has grown to include a version (NMH300) that does not include pre-installed hard drives, giving consumers the flexibility to choose the drive type and size that best fits their individual needs and allowing VARs to build custom solutions for their customers. Additionally, Media Hub products will now ship with an installation disc that can be used on either PCs or Macs. Finally, a firmware update will be pushed to Media Hub customers this week that includes several playback, navigation, and remote access improvements, along with system and file management improvements.
With a newly released firmware update, customers who have purchased products from the Linksys by Cisco Wireless Home Audio family will now experience better performance and interoperability with non-Linksys by Cisco routers, improved navigation of their available media, and support for the FLAC lossless audio file format. In addition to these updates, the previously announced Conductor (DMC350) Wireless-N Digital Music Center is now available for purchase.
Media Hub Software and Firmware Update Facts/Highlights:
- Mac Installation
- Firmware Updates
- AAC playback capabilities from within the Media Hub Interface
- Media Importer capabilities for Mac
- Improved interface experience when using Safari
- Improved thumbnail generation
- Improved slideshow transitions
- Ability to disable slideshow
- Single photo preview
- Improved Album view
- Support for user generated Album Art
- Playlist repeat
- MOV file support
- Optimization for videos imported from Flip Video devices
- Volume Level Persistence
- Recently Viewed
- File size cap removed for video playback
- Guest password capabilities for access to Media
- Improved web certification process
- FTP username and password capabilities
- Extended SD card recognition
- New Notifications
- New drive
- New firmware
- Drive full
- RAID failure
- No need to format new disc during RAID configuration
- Internet Time Sync
- Ability to copy or move entire folders
- Dedicated "Tree" items within File view for uPnP and USB devices
Beginning this month, Media Hubs will ship with a dual-format installation disc that can be run on either a PC or a Mac. Existing Media Hub customers who did not receive the dual-format disc with their product purchase can download the installation file from their product page for their device at www.linksysbycisco.com.
The newest firmware revision for the Media Hub offers several updates including:
Playback and Navigation
Remote Access to content stored on Media Hub(1)
System and File Management
(1) A period of Remote Access is included from date of activation. Fees may apply thereafter and are subject to change. Internet access required
Wireless Home Audio Facts/Highlights:(2)
- Performance and Interoperability Advancements
- FLAC Support
- Improved Navigation
- "Quick Browse" - allows users to skip to a particular letter rather than navigating through an entire library list
- Optimized metadata look up to better present Artist, Album, and Title in addition to Album Art
- Improved integration with Linksys by Cisco Media Hubs
- Improved overall navigation within the user interface
Enhancements have been released to address issues with establishing or maintaining a connection when using non-Linksys by Cisco routers. Customers will see greater reliability when they update to the newest firmware available for the products.
Support for the popular FLAC lossless audio data compression audio format is a key component of the latest Wireless Home Audio update.
The new firmware for Wireless Home Audio adds several navigational enhancements, these include:
(2) Maximum performance derived from IEEE Standard 802.11 specifications. Actual performance can vary, including lower wireless network capacity, data throughput rate, range and coverage. Performance depends on many factors, conditions and variables, including distance from the access point, volume of network traffic, building materials and construction, operating system used, mix of wireless products used, interference and other adverse conditions.
New Products Launching and Available today:
- DMC350 Conductor
As the newest member of the Linksys by Cisco Media Hub family, the NMH300 includes all of the award-winning features of its predecessors in a drive-less configuration. The full family of Media Hubs can be seen at: http://linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/NetworkStorage
The Conductor is a complete, portable, self-contained wireless music system with integrated speakers and subwoofer that can be used to bring music to any room of the home. All it needs is a power outlet. It features a seven-inch LCD touch screen for easy navigation through your music library and an integrated CD player to play those songs that you have not digitized yet. An individual IR Remote is included. The Conductor is a part of the broad range of Linksys by Cisco Wireless Home Audio products, the entire family can be viewed at: http://linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WirelessHomeAudio.
Previously Debuted Media Hub and Wireless Home Audio Products:
- NMH305 Linksys by Cisco Media Hub (500GB hard drive)
- NMH405 Linksys by Cisco Media Hub with LCD and 6-in-1 card reader (500GB hard drive)
- NMH410 Linksys by Cisco Media Hub with LCD and 6-in-1 card reader (1TB hard drive)
- Player DMP100 Wireless-N Music Extender
- Director DMC250 Wireless-N Music Player with Integrated Amplifier
- Stereo Speaker Kit DSPK50
- Controller DMWR1000 Wireless-N Touchscreen Remote
- Docking Station for iPod MCCI40
Designed to allow you to access digital music from existing stereo or surround sound systems in the home. Its compact design allows it to blend well with any décor making it an ideal option to extend music to any room in the home utilizing your existing audio equipment. An individual IR Remote is included.
Features a 50-watt per channel integrated amplifier powerful enough to be placed in any room as a more permanent solution to access digital music, and includes a line in and out to connect to speakers. Its full color LCD display makes navigating through your music library simple. An individual IR Remote is included.
Designed to compliment the Director - Wireless-N Music Player. Pair them to create a complete, high-quality wireless sound system and experience your digital music all around your home, at your control.
Designed to control the complete Wireless Home Audio system wirelessly. It features a large, color touchscreen, thumbwheel, and engaging interface designed to let you easily control any one or every one of your Linksys by Cisco Wireless Home Audio devices, including a docked iPod, from anywhere in your home, even when they're out of sight.
Designed to allow consumers to extend their available Wireless Home Audio library to include all of the content on their iPod, including Podcasts, Audio Books, and purchased iTunes content.
- Greg Memo, vice president and general manager, products, Cisco Consumer Business Group
"The key to being successful when building connected consumer electronics is to always be enhancing your products. Adding installation and Media Importer functionality for Macs is an important milestone as we strive to make the Media Hub the best possible solution for consumers looking to consolidate and stream their media from wherever they like. These additions, together with enhancements to both the Media Hub and Wireless Home Audio products, are significant strides toward executing our vision of enabling people to live a connected life that is more personal, more social and more visual."
- US online music download market growing from $2.1 billion today to $3.3 billion by 2013. (US B2C Online Paid Content: Five-Year Forecast, Forrester Research, December 3, 2008)
- The average household's digital media collection will exceed 1TB by 2013. (Parks and Associates, March 2009)
Pricing and availability:
- The NMH300 is available now through Cisco Consumer Channel Network Registered Partners and at Amazon.com, Buy.com, and NewEgg.com for an MSRP of $199.99, while the Conductor is now available at Amazon.com, Crutchfield, Fry's Electronics, and ShopLinksys.com for an MSRP of $699.99.
- Media Hub owners will receive notification of the available firmware update for their device through the Media Hub web interface, or can manually initiate the process from the LCD screen for an NMH405 or NMH410.
- Wireless Home Audio users who elected to receive automatic updates during the installation process will receive the firmware upon availability. Those who did not select the automatic updates option or would like to manually check for the update can initiate the process by going into their device Settings, selecting "About", and clicking on the "Check for Update" button.
- Product Web Pages
- Cisco Consumer Blogs: http://blogs.cisco.com/consumer
- Podcast with Ned Hooper discussing the Cisco Consumer strategy
- Read the Cisco news feature on the media-enabled home.
- Learn more about consumer products for a media-enabled home at www.linksysbycisco.com and www.linksysbycisco.com/forums.
- Amazon.com Linksys by Cisco Brand Store http://www.amazon.com/linksys
- Become a Facebook fan of Cisco "LinksysbyCisco" and "Digital Cribs" and invite your friends to join the conversation.
- Follow Linksys by Cisco products announcements and updates on Twitter - @Digital Cribs
Cisco, Consumer, Linksys by Cisco, Media-Enabled Home, Media Hub, Networking Set up, Mac, Media Server
About Cisco Systems
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Cisco's vision for the consumer is to enable people to live a connected life that is more personal, more social, and more visual. More information about Cisco and its line of consumer products can be found at www.linksysbycisco.com and www.cisco.com/consumer.
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Linksys by Cisco and Cisco Systems are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
Most Recent NewsOut of the Corner Office, Into Every Office: Cisco Sets the New Bar for Enterprise Collaboration With Products Capable of Completely Changing How Team
Today, 05:00 AM
Technology Enters the Iditarod Race
Cisco Announces Tech Talk Around Mobile Data Traffic Report with Wells Fargo