Social Media Release: Cisco ASR 9000 Series Router Launch
Headline: Cisco Delivers the Carrier Ethernet Foundation for the "Zettabyte Era" to Service Providers
- The "Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast and Methodology, 2007-2012" projects that Internet Protocol (IP) traffic will increase at a combined annual growth rate of 46 percent from 2007 to 2012, nearly doubling every two years. This will result in an annual bandwidth demand on the world's IP networks of approximately 522 exabytes, or more than half a zettabyte -- equivalent to downloading 125 billion DVD movies per month.
- The Cisco Visual Networking Index report provides key findings on a variety of consumer and business Internet Protocol (IP) networking trends, driven largely by the increasing use of video and Web 2.0 social networking and business collaboration applications.
Today's News: Cisco ASR 9000 Series Routers
- The Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Router follows the introduction eight months ago of the Cisco ASR 1000 Series, the first Cisco aggregation services router.
- With the 92-terabit Cisco CRS-1 Carrier Routing System (CRS) in the core and the Cisco ASR 9000 at the edge, Cisco offers the most comprehensive core and edge solution needed to meet customer speed and scaling needs in the "zettabyte era."
- Up to six times the scale of competitors, the Cisco ASR 9000 offers more capacity for the edge of the networks than competitors do for the core.
- Capacity to spare
- Ability to deliver high definition streams to every household in Los Angeles (1.2 million homes) -- simultaneously.
- 400 gigabits capability that is akin to sustain a flow of 20 Niagara Falls passing through it every second or downloading a digital library of every book ever written in any language in a single hour.
- Using only 40 percent the power than competing multi-platform solutions would need to deliver same capacity.
- Delivering an estimated annual power savings of a single Cisco ASR 9000 compared to a competing product, could watch more than 32,000 hours of television.
- "Earlier generations of edge routers were not designed to address the massive growth IP video is driving across mobile and wireline networks. Softbank Corporation is looking for innovative solutions that enable us to reduce costs, keep pace and converge our broadband, mobile and business networks onto common infrastructure," said Junishi Miyakawa,?executive vice president, director and CTO of SOFTBANK MOBILE, SOFTBANK BB, SOFTBANK TELECOM. "The Cisco ASR 9000 offers investment protection, massive bandwidth capacity and excellent services capability in a highly reliable and efficient design that gives us the flexibility to build a truly leading IP NGN network for our 4G mobile and video services."
- "The Cisco ASR 9000 offers service providers tremendous scalability and a services-optimized architecture that truly sets a new benchmark in the industry for carrier Ethernet systems for the zettabyte era," said Pankaj Patel, senior vice president and general manager of the Cisco Service Provider Technology Group. "This platform is designed for IP NGN transformation and will be used as the carrier Ethernet transport foundation for video and mobility data growth. The Cisco ASR 9000 has been specifically optimized to deliver video and rich media better than any other platform on the market."
Tags / Keywords
Cisco, Cisco, Cisco IP NGN, Cisco IP Next-Generation Network, IP NGN, Cisco Carrier Ethernet, Cisco Visual Networking Index Forecast and Methodology, Visual Networking, VNI, Cisco ASR 9000, Cisco IOS XR, Cisco ASR 1000, Cisco CRS-1, Router, Edge, Video, Mobility, Carrier Ethernet, Connected Life, Pankaj Patel, Tony Bates, SOFTBANK MOBILE, SOFTBANK BB, SOFTBANK TELECOM
Links / URLs
Cisco Launch Investigation: Searching for John Chambers
Cisco Launch Investigation: Ask for Bob
Cisco Launch Investigation: Capacity to Spare
Traditional Press Release: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2008/prod_111108.html
RSS Feed for Company: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Most Recent NewsBright House Networks Deploys Cisco Network Convergence System to Offer Cloud-Based Business and Residential Services
Inside Cisco's Acoustic Chamber
By Karen Crocker Snell 4/16/2014
Cisco Deployed IT Infrastructure for World-Famous Mariinsky Theatre