Cisco to Demonstrate 'Visual Networking' Experiences at 2008 International CES
SAN JOSE, Calif., January 3, 2008 - Cisco® today announced it will feature new consumer products and innovative prototypes at the 2008 International Consumer Electronics Show, January 7-10 in the Las Vegas Convention Center. The featured demonstrations highlight new visual networking experiences that combine streaming digital video technology and social networking applications.
Internet video accounts for 40 percent of Internet traffic today.* YouTube alone receives more than 65,000 new videos everyday.** This explosion of professional and user-generated video content, including video for use as entertainment and communications, can now span three screens via the TV, PC and mobile phone. Visual networking is enabling video content to be transparently created, further customized, stored and delivered on a single, integrated wire-to-wireless network.
"Video is the next wave of Internet disruption," said John Chambers, chairman and CEO, Cisco. "Cisco is at the forefront of this market transition, providing consumers with more choice, better navigation of content, higher quality video, and faster, more personalized interaction. Together with our partners, we are expanding the Human Network to create compelling visual networking experiences by connecting consumers to digital content in ways never before possible - when, where and how they want it."
The company will showcase several existing products and innovative prototypes at the 2008 International CES that deliver a superior multi-media experience and allow consumers to experience visual networking:
- Next-Generation Cable Set-Top Boxes and OpenCable Applications - Cisco offers access to the Internet and premium content services on consumers' TVs via its next-generation set-top boxes. The set-top boxes are also designed to stream digital video content through the entire home and offer consumers added storage for storing music, movies, programs and photos, and feature new interactive guide capabilities, search functions and more;
- Internet Protocol Set-Top Boxes and Middleware Solutions - Cisco's Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network (IP NGN) set-top boxes integrate the home media experience by delivering many services including data, voice and video to many screens such as a television, PC, game station, mobile phone or other devices;
- Integrated Connected Home and Connected Life Technologies for Service Providers and Retail - Linksys Media Center Extenders work with PCs from most major manufacturers to stream video, including home video, live TV and movies plus music and photos to other devices in the home. Cisco also offers Interactive & Community Applications making it easy for service providers to support communications outside the home, across a broad range of devices; and
- High-Speed Data, Voice and Wireless Solutions - Wireless-N Dual Band Home Networking technology from Cisco's Linksys division offers video-grade wireless networking that can help consumers to stream high-quality premium video content on media devices throughout the home.
Cisco creates "connections" between people and what they treasure most. The company offers consumers innovative new ways to communicate with friends and family, discover entertainment content and access information in different locations via multiple devices. Cisco's consumer business includes the Linksys family of home networking products, Scientific Atlanta's set-top boxes, and Cisco's media solutions and content delivery system. Through a close collaboration with its technology partners, service providers, content publishers, retailers and consumer electronic device manufacturers, Cisco is expanding the Human Network to create new visual networking experiences.
To see demonstrations of Cisco's consumer products and prototypes at 2008 International CES, please visit room N246 in the North Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center. For more information about Cisco at 2008 International CES, go to http://newsroom.cisco.com/CES2008/.
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Cisco, the Cisco logo and Cisco Systems, Linksys and the Linksys logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
* RBC Capital Markets Video 2.0, September 10, 2007
** CIBC World Markets, Internet Video is Set to Reach Critical Mass, November 15, 2007