Second Quarter FY' 07 Technology & Customer Highlights
Cisco's fiscal year 2007 second quarter was characterized by major innovations across a number of key technology areas and significant customer wins around the world in all target market segments. Cisco reached major milestones, including the sale of more than 2 million Cisco integrated services routers (ISRs), 10 million IP phones and 500 CRS-1 Carrier Routing Systems.
Around the world, Cisco made a strategic investment in China Communications Services Corporation Limited, the specialized telecommunications support businesses arm of a telecommunications group in China, expanded technology collaboration with the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA), selected India as the site for Cisco's new globalization center, and announced a Research & Development Center in Galway, Ireland.
In fiscal year 2007 second quarter, Cisco announced a definitive agreement to acquire IronPort Systems, Inc., a leading provider of messaging security appliances. Cisco also completed the acquisitions of Orative Corp, a provider of mobile communications software, Greenfield Networks, a provider of integrated circuits, hardware and software optimized for Ethernet packet processing, and Tivella, Inc, a leading provider of digital signage software and systems.
Following are select new product announcements from the second quarter:
- Cisco Digital Signage, a solution for management, publishing and playback of digital media on networked digital signage displays.
- iPhone family of Voice over IP (VoIP) solutions and handheld devices that harnesses the power of the Internet to enhance voice communications, integrate compelling information services, and deliver access to multimedia.
- Enhancements to the Cisco 7600 Series Router portfolio that establish it as the industry's first comprehensive Carrier Ethernet service edge platform for converged IP video, voice and data offerings with mobility (any-play).
- Cisco Content Delivery System (CDS) offers both cable and wireline providers a highly-extensible platform for the delivery of video-on-demand and time-shifted video services.
- Cisco ServiceMesh, the industry's first integrated, end-to-end outdoor wireless solution designed for service providers who are deploying citywide municipal Wi-Fi networks.
- Wi-Fi Asset Tracking solution specifically geared for aerospace, automotive, mining and semiconductor manufacturing industries.
- Collaboration with IBM and HP to develop a new embedded Fibre Channel fabric switch for IBM blade server chassis and HP BladeSystem.
- New Multilayer Fabric Switch which provides enterprise-class capabilities such as virtual Storage Area Networks (VSANs), advanced security, high availability and flexibility.
- Universal Session and Resource Manager (USRM), a component of the Cisco IP Next-Generation Network (IP NGN) Service Exchange Framework (SEF), that extends the video and data network control plane to help enable interactive triple- and quad-play services over cable networks.
- Visual Quality Experience (VQE) technology, to improve the quality of wireline IPTV services and subscribers' viewing experiences.
- Wireless-N Gigabit Gaming Router (WRT330N), a high performance router that offers up to four times the range and twelve times the throughput speed of Wireless-G, while giving network priority to latency-sensitive applications, such as gaming and VoIP.
- PowerLine networking kit (PLK200) built to the HomePlug AV standard and designed to enable consumers to connect their computers, networked entertainment products, or peripheral devices utilizing existing power lines.
Following are select customer announcements from the second quarter:
U.S and Canada:
- Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. (TBS, Inc.) chose Scientific Atlanta's MPEG-4 D9034 Encoder to provide MPEG-4 signals for telecom companies.
- Oakland Athletics (A's) and Cisco announced a broad business, marketing and technology agreement to build the world's most technologically sophisticated baseball park in Fremont, Calif. to be named "Cisco Field."
- Bank of America, working with its integration partner EDS, deployed Cisco's IP phones as part of an ongoing project that is fueling next-generation retail banking service.
- Houston Metropolitan Transit Authority (METRO), one of the nation's largest transit authorities, is deploying a Cisco wireless mesh network.
- Albany, the state capital of New York, will begin deployment of Cisco's ServiceMesh solution to provide free Internet access to residents and visitors, as well as to use the wireless network as a platform for public safety services and economic development.
- Piggly Wiggly, with 111 stores throughout the southeast, is using the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Solution for Retail, part of the Cisco Secure Store program.
- Terremark Worldwide, Inc., an operator of integrated Internet exchanges and a global provider of managed IT infrastructure solutions, will deploy the Cisco CRS-1.
- University of Florida High Performance Computing Center (HPCC) successfully deployed solutions from Cisco to support its campus-wide grid computing.
- Stanford University is able to conduct first-of-a-kind complex computer simulations at its High-Performance Computing Center (HPCC) using Cisco 7008 InfiniBand Server Fabric Switches as the platform for server and inter-switch.
- Peel District School Board, one of Canada's largest public school boards, chose Cisco Unified Communications to improve collaboration among students, parents and staff.
- Swedish communities of Lunds Kommunala Bostäder and Allbohus in Alvesta will have one of the fastest broadband networks in Europe, based on Cisco IP NGN architecture.
- FASTWEB, Italy's second-largest fixed telecommunications services provider, chose Cisco IP NGN architecture to deliver significant enhancements to its national network.
- T-Com, the broadband and fixed network business area of Deutsche Telekom A.G., has certified and deployed the Cisco CRS-1 Carrier Routing System.
- The Amsterdam Regional Community College, the largest community college in the Netherlands, chose Cisco's Service Oriented Network Architecture (SONA) to deliver connected learning solutions.
- Eleven new European small, medium and mid- market customers, including Prego Services in Germany, Maggiore in Italy, BCD Travel in Portugal and Spyker Cars in the Netherlands, are benefiting from smart, simple and highly secure IT solutions that help increase competitiveness.
- Real Madrid Football Club is using Cisco networking, security and Unified Communications technologies to deliver video, voice, data and wireless services over a single network to its fans, corporate customers, employees and the press.
- R Cable, a leading cable operator in the Galicia region in Spain, is replacing its analog headend and video transport operations with new IP-based digital headend from Scientific Atlanta and IP NGN Carrier Ethernet platform from Cisco.
- Numericable, the largest cable operator in France, has started a nationwide upgrade of its network based on the Cisco IP NGN architecture.
- Free, the leading triple-play over broadband operator in Europe, has chosen the Cisco CRS-1 Carrier Routing System, for a major network transformation to deliver IPTV, "any play" and ultra-high-speed broadband services to customers throughout France.
- Governments in five nations in the Emerging Markets received two Cisco TelePresence systems each as a means to improve communications and collaboration.
- Cisco and Sitronics JSC, the leading technology company in Russia & CIS, announced a regional alliance to address the rapidly expanding telecommunications market in Russia and CIS countries (RCIS) and other emerging markets.
- Garanti Bank, the leading Turkish retail, commercial and corporate bank, has selected Cisco to provide a new backbone network infrastructure for its datacenter operations comprising of storage area networking, data center switching and integrated security.
- Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation (NTT) will conduct trials on the connectivity of the Cisco TelePresence system and make proposals for application services.
- Shui On Land Limited, a leading property developer in the Chinese Mainland, will work with Cisco Systems International BV to build world-class digital communities in China.
- Internode, the leading Australian broadband provider, has purchased additional Cisco core and edge Internet equipment to drive its international network.
- Singapore Telecommunications Limited (SingTel) will be deploying a Wi-Fi mesh network from Cisco in the North region of Singapore.
- Telekom Malaysia Berhad (TM) has become the first service provider in Malaysia and Southeast Asia to receive the Cisco Quality of Service (QoS) Certification for its Multiservice Internet Protocol Virtual Private Network (IP VPN) service.
Following are select channel partner program announcements from the second quarter:
- Cisco Capital and Ingram Micro Inc. announced a financing program for North American resellers of Cisco equipment, software and services.
- Cisco Capital expanded its financing capabilities through agreements with Citibank, GE Capital Solutions and Standard Chartered Bank.
- Cisco added ScanSource to its list of authorized distributors in the United States as a Specialty Distributor for mobility technologies in key vertical markets.
- Cisco European Channel and SMB Press Forum in Milan doubled its number of partners in Europe to more than 2,300 members in 2006. Cisco also announced two new initiatives, the Unified Communications Accelerator Program and SMB University.
To read all announcements for the technology innovations and customer wins visit News@Cisco's news release archive.
Most Recent NewsConnected Cars Get a Test Drive
By Steve Wildstrom 6/17/2013
Cisco Opens Innovation Center in Collaboration with Pelephone to Boost Mobile Internet Capacity
The Network Week in Review and Look Ahead: June 10-14